A FASE specification of FP
The purpose of this paper is to describe the FASE system of executable specifications of data types via a specification of Backus's FP language. We illustrate the ability to execute specifications as well as our more recent efforts to incorporate formal proofs into the system.
KeywordsFunctional Program Program Transformation Proof Tree Executable Specification Signature File
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Kamin, S. Jefferson, and M. Archer, “The Role of Executable Specifications: The FASE System,” Proc. IEEE Symp. on Application and Assessment of Automated Tools for Software Development, San Francisco (Nov. 1983).Google Scholar
- 2.John Backus, “Can Programming Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style? A Functional Style and Its Algebra of Programs,” CACM 21(8), pp. 613–641 (August, 1978).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Kamin, “Final Data Types and Their Specification,” ACM TOPLAS 5(1), pp. 97–123 (Jan. 1983).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Futatsugi, J. A. Goguen, Jean-Pierre Jouannaud, and J. Meseguer, Principles of OBJ2, Centre de Recherche en Informatique, University de Nancy, Nancy, France (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.S. L. Gerhart, D. R. Musser, D. H. Thompson, D. A. Baker, R. L. Bates, R. W. Erickson, R. L. London, D. G. Taylor, and D. S. Wile, An Overview of AFFIRM: A Specification and Verification System, USC Information Sciences Institute (Nov. 1979).Google Scholar
- 6.John Williams, “On the Development of the Algebra of Functional Programs,” TOPLAS 4(4), pp. 733–757 (October, 1982).Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Backus, “The algebra of functional programs: Function-level reasoning, linear equations, and extended definitions,” LNCS 107: Formalization of Programming Concepts, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 1–43 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.R. B. Kieburtz and J. Shultis, “Transformation of FP Program Schemas,” Proc. Conf. on Functioanl Programming Languages and Computer Architecture, Portsmouth, MA, pp. 41–48 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.Scott Baden, “Berkeley FP User's Manual, Rev. 4.1,” in UNIX Programmer's Manual, 4.2bsd, (July, 1983).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Kamin and S. Jefferson, On λ-expressions That Define Finite Functions, Univ. of Illinois (1984).Google Scholar