A net model of a local area network protocol
Predicate/Transition-Nets, a class of higher level Petri nets, are used to model the second protocol layer of the Local Area Network REDPUC. The model describes the protocol layer precisely and completely, including an essential part of its environment. Particularly, the switch-on and switch-off procedures for user stations are considered. In establishing the protocol net, some standard sub-models and the concept of modelling by macro transitional forms are presented, which both may be useful in a more general setting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BG77]Bochman, G.V., Gecsei, J.: A Unified Method for the Specification and Verification of Protocols. Information Processing 77, B. Gilchrist (ed.), IFIP, North-Holland Publ. Comp., 1977, pp. 229–234.Google Scholar
- [Br80]Brauer, W. (ed.): Net Theory and Applications. LNCS 84, New York, Springer-Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- [CR83]Coolahan, J.E., Rossopoulos, N.: Timing Requirements for Time-Driven Systems Using Augmented Petri Nets. IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol. SE-9, No. 5, Sept. 1983, pp. 603–616.Google Scholar
- [EP80]Eckert, H., Prinoth, R.: A Method for Analyzing Communication Protocols. GMD-IFV Internal Report, Darmstadt, Dec. 1980.Google Scholar
- [GL81]Genrich, H.J., Lautenbach, K.: System Modelling with High-Level Petri Nets. Theoretical Computer Science 13, North-Holland Publ. Comp., 1981, pp. 109–136.Google Scholar
- [Le78]LeLann, G.: Algorithms for Distributed Data Sharing Systems which Use Tickets. Proc. 3rd Berkeley Workshop on Distr. Data Management and Computer Networks, Aug. 1978.Google Scholar
- [NHS83]Nelson, R.A., Haibt, L.M., Sheridan, P.B.: Casting Petri Nets into Programs. IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol. SE-9, No. 5, Sept. 1983, pp. 590–602.Google Scholar
- [Pe73]Petri, C.A.: Concepts of Net Theory. Math. Found. of Computer Science: Proc. Symp. and Summer School, High Tatras. Math. Inst. Slovak. Acad. of Sciences, 1973, pp. 137–146.Google Scholar
- [PS82]Projektgruppe Schnittstellen: Modellierung existierender Schnittstellen mit Netzen. GMD-Studien Nr. 69, GMD, St. Augustin, Sept. 1982.Google Scholar
- [RW83]Rudin, H., West, C.H. (eds.): Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, III. Proc. IFIP WG6.1 3rd Int. Workshop Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification. Armonk, NY, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Sc81]Schwabe, D.: Formal Techniques for the Specification and Verification of Protocols. UCLA, Los Angeles, Report No. CSD-810401, Apr. 1981.Google Scholar
- [Vo80]Voss, K.: Using Predicate/Transition-Nets to Model and Analyze Distributed Database Systems. IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol. SE-6, Nov. 1980, pp. 539–544.Google Scholar
- [Vo82]Voss, K.: Nets as a Consistent Formal Tool for the Stepwise Design and Verification of a Distributed System. In Hawgood, J. (ed.): Evolutionary Information Systems. North-Holland Publ. Comp., IFIP, 1982, pp. 173–191.Google Scholar