On communication protocol modelling and design
The design of a protocol in a distributed computing system requires to successive modellings : the first one concerns the distributed system architecture modelling which must make clear what are the inputs and outputs of the remote communicating entities ; the second one concerns the formal modelling of the communication in the aim of a protocol verification.
The aim of this paper is to analyse the different architecture models which have been used in the different studies on protocols, to show their interest and their deficiency and finally to reach the one which allows to take into account all the environment of a protocol entity (we call, this model, the three level model). Petri nets are the formal tool which is used.
Key-WordsDistributed systems system architecture modelling methodology protocol service Petri nets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /ADA 80/."Reference manual for the ADA programming language", United States Department of Defence, Nov. 1980.Google Scholar
- /ALGA 82/.B. Algayres, "Sur la modélisation, la validation et l'implémentation d'un protocole de transport", Thèse de Docteur-Ingénieur, INSA,,no84, Toulouse, Dec. 1982.Google Scholar
- /BERT 79/.B. Berthomieu, "Analyse structurelle des réseaux de Petri" Thèse de Docteur-Ingénieur, UPS, Toulouse, Sept. 1979.Google Scholar
- /BOCH 78/.G.V. BOCHMAN, "Finite state description of communication protocols", Computer Networks, vol. 2, Oct. 1978.Google Scholar
- /BREM 78/.J. Bremer, "Modèle formel pour la modélisation et la vérification des protocoles de réseaux d'ordinateurs", Thèse de Doctorat ès-Sciences Appliquées, Liège, 1978.Google Scholar
- /DANT 78/.A. Danthine, J. Bremer, "Modelling and verification of end to end protocols", Computer Networks, vol. 2, Oct. 1978.Google Scholar
- /DANT 80/.A. Danthine, "Protocol representation with finite state models", IEEE Trans. on Comm., vol.COM-28, April 1980.Google Scholar
- /DEVY 79/.M. Devy, M. Diaz, "Multi-level specification and validation of the control in communication systems", First Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, Huntsville, Alabama, Oct. 1979.Google Scholar
- /DIA 82/.M. Diaz, "Modelling and analysis of communication and cooperation protocols using Petri net based models", Computer Networks, vol.6, no6, Dec. 1982.Google Scholar
- /DUFA 83/.J. Dufau, M. Diaz, P. Azema, B. Pradin, G. Juanole, "Conception et réalisation d'outils de spécification et de conception", Note Interne LAAS no83.038, June 1983.Google Scholar
- /ECMA 80/.ECMA/TC 24/80/67 Final Draft, Transport Protocol, July 1980.Google Scholar
- /HOAR 78/.C.A.R. Hoare, "Communicating sequential processes", Comm. ACM, August 1978.Google Scholar
- /JUAN 82/.G. Juanole, "Data transfer on a link: specification of a class of retransmission strategies for the error control. Formal modelling by Petri nets", Fifteenth Hawai International Conference on System Sciences, Jan. 1982.Google Scholar
- /JUAN 83/.G. Juanole, B. Algayres, "Analysis for the design of a couple service-protocol: application to the transport connection establishment phase", Third Int. Workshop on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, Zurich, 1983.Google Scholar
- /KELL 76/.R.M. Keller, "Formal verification of parallel programs", Comm. of the ACM, vol. 19, no7, July 1976.Google Scholar
- /LAMP 83/.L. Lamport, "What good is temporal logic ?", IFIP 9th World Compuer Congress, Paris, Sept. 1983.Google Scholar
- /MERL 76/.P.M. Merlin, D.J. Farber, "Recoverability of communication protocols. Implications of a theoretical study", IEEE Trans. on Comm., vol. COM-24, Sept. 1976.Google Scholar
- /MOLL 82/.M.K. MOLLOY, "Performance analysis using stochastic Petri nets", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Sept. 1982.Google Scholar
- /SUNS 78/.C. Sunshine, Y. Dalal, "Connection management in transport protocols", Computer Networks 2, 1978.Google Scholar