Steady and unsteady nonlinear flow treatment using the full potential equation
The steady and unsteady forms of the full potential equation are treated using implicit numerical methods based on the approximate factorization technique or relaxation concepts. Problems solved include supersonic flows over complex configurations with embedded subsonic regions, and flows over airfoils and spheres at all Mach numbers. The treatment involves time linearization of density, flux linearization in the marching direction, theory of characteristic signal propagation, steady and unsteady wake treatment, flux biasing concepts for artificial viscosity, and unsteady far-field based on the Riemann invariants.
KeywordsMach Number Supersonic Flow AIAA Paper Transonic Flow AIAA Journal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shankar, V., “A Conservative Full Potential Implicit, Marching Scheme for Supersonic Flows,” AIAA Journal, vol. 20, No. 11, November 1982, pp. 1508–1514.Google Scholar
- 2.Shankar, V. and Osher, S., “An Efficient Full Potential Implicit Method Based on Characteristics for Analysis of Supersonic Flows,” AIAA Paper No. 82-0974, June 1982; AIAA Journal, Vol. 21, No. 9, Sept. 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Shankar, V., Szema, K. Y. and Osher, S., “A Conservative Type-Dependent Full Potential Method for the Treatment of Supersonic Flows with Embedded Subsonic Regions,” AIAA Paper No. 83-1887, AIAA Journal, November 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Szema, K. Y. and Shankar, V., “Nonlinear Computation of Wing-Body-Vertical Tail-Wake Flows at Low Supersonic Speeds,” AIAA Paper No. 84-0427.Google Scholar
- 5.Shankar, V., “Implicit Treatment of the Unsteady Full Potential Equation in Conservation Form,” AIAA Paper No. 84-0262.Google Scholar
- 6.Shankar, V., “Relaxation and Approximate Factorization Methods for the Unsteady Full Potential Equation, ICAS-84-1.6.2, 14th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Toulouse, France, Sept. 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.Holst, T. L., “Fast, Conservative Algorithm for Solving the Transonic Full Potential Equation,” AIAA Journal, vol. 18, No. 12, December 1980, pp. 1431–1439.Google Scholar
- 8.Hafez, M., “Entropy Inequality for Transonic Flows,” Transonic Unsteady Aerodynamics and Aeroelasticity Workshop, NASA Langley Research Center, June 22–23, 1983.Google Scholar