A perturbative lambda formulation
The present paper provides a new perturbative lambda formulation for the numerical solution of compressible flows. The time-dependent Euler equations are recasted in terms of compatibility equations for perturbative bicharacteristic variables (which are the difference between the standard Riemann variables and those corresponding to an appropriate steady incompressible flow) and solved numerically by means of an ADI method. Results for subcritical and supercritical flows past a NACA 0012 airfoil are presented, which demonstrate the remarkable accuracy of the proposed methodology.
KeywordsCompressible Flow Transonic Flow Upwind Difference Implicit Integration Supercritical Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zannetti, L. and Colasurdo, G., “Unsteady Compressible Flow: A Computational Method Consistent with the Physical Phenomena”, AIAA J., Vol. 19, July 1981, pp. 851–856.Google Scholar
- 3.Dadone, A. and Napolitano, M., “An Implicit Lambda Scheme”, AIAA J., Vol. 21, October 1983, pp. 1391–1399.Google Scholar
- 4.Dadone, A. and Napolitano, M., “Efficient Transonic Flow Solutions to the Euler Equations”, AIAA Paper 83-0258, January 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Napolitano, M. and Dadone, A., “Three-dimensional Implicit Lambda Methods”, Fifth GAMM Conference on Numerical Methods in Fluid Mechanics, Rome, 5–7 October 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.Moretti, G. and Zannetti, L. “A New Improved Computational Technique for Two-dimensional Unsteady Compressible Flows”, AIAA Paper 82-168.Google Scholar
- 7.Moretti, G., “Fast Euler solver for steady one dimensional flows”, NASA-CR 3689, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Dadone, A. and Napolitano, M., “Accurate and Efficient Solutions of Compressible Internal Flows”, AIAA Paper 84-1247, June 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.Beam, R. M. and Warming, R. F., “An Implicit Factored Scheme for the Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations”, AIAA J., Vol. 16, April 1978, pp. 393–402.Google Scholar
- 10.Davis, R. T., “Notes on Numerical Methods for Coordinate Generation Based on a Mapping Technique”, V.K.I., Lecture Series 1981-5, March 30–April 3, 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.Lock, R. C., “Test Cases for Numerical Methods in Two-Dimensional Transonic Flows”, AGARD-R575-70.Google Scholar
- 12.Jameson, A., “Solution of the Euler Equations for Two-Dimensional Transonic Flows by a Multigrid Method”, Princeton University MAE Report n. 1613, June 1983.Google Scholar