Finite element calculation of potential flow around wings
The finite element approach has been successfully used to solve the full potential equation for flows around wings. Algebraic generation of three-dimensional meshes of H-type has been developed and the numerical results shown are satisfatory.
The next steps will concen the improvements mentioned above about discretization in the supersonic region and implementation of the multigrid technique. In parallel, more complex geometries will be studied in connection with a general multidomain approach to be defined.
KeywordsPotential Flow Finite Element Discretization Wing Surface Supersonic Region Finite Difference Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GLOWINSKI, “Numerical Simulation for some applied problems originating from continnum mechanics.” Lecture Notes in Physics n° 195.Google Scholar
- MEIJERINK, VAN DER VORST, “An Iterative Solution method for linear Systems of which the coefficient matrix is a symmetric M-matrix.” Maths of Comp,, Vol. 31, Jan. 1977.Google Scholar
- BRANDT, “Multi-level adaptive solution to the boundary-value problems.” Maths of Comp., Vol. 31, 1977.Google Scholar
- BREDIF, “A fast finite element method for transonic potential flows.” AIAA paper 83-0507.Google Scholar
- BREDIF, “Une Méthode d'Écoulements Finis Multigrille pour le calcul d d'écoulements Potentiels Transsoniques.” Proceedings of the third GAMNI Conference, March 1983, Paris.Google Scholar
- COOK, “Body oriented coordinates for generating three dimensional meshes.” Int. Journal for Num. Meth. in Engineering, Vol. 8, 1974.Google Scholar
- LEE, HUANG, YU, RUBBERT, “Grid generation for general three-dimensional configurations.” NASA Conference on Numerical Grid Generation Techniques, 1980.Google Scholar
- HAFEZ, MURMAN, SOUTH, “Artificial Compressibility methods for numerical solution of transonic full potential equation.” AIAA paper 78-1148.Google Scholar
- CHATTOT, COULOMBEIX, TOME, “Calcul d'écoulements transsoniques autour d'ailes.” La Recherche Aérospatiale 1978-4.Google Scholar
- SCHMITT, CHARPIN, “Pressure distributions on the ONERA M-6 Wing at Transonic Mach numbers.” AGARD-Ar-138, 1979.Google Scholar