Non-local elastic forces in charge-density wave systems
Analytical expressions for the spectra of phase and amplitude modes of a one-dimensional charge-density wave are given. From these we derive an effective non-local Lagrangian for the phase fluctuations. The range of the non-local elastic forces is found to be of the order of the coherence length C . On this length scale the elastic potential turns out to be larger than the long-range Coulomb potential, when applied to KCP. Our results may have important implications for the theory of impurity pinning.
KeywordsElastic Energy Coherence Length Elastic Force Phase Fluctuation Elastic Potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.A. Brazovskii and I.E. Dzyaloshinskii, Zh.Eksp.Teor.Fiz. 71, 2338 (1976) (Sov.Phys. JETP 44, 1233 (1976)).Google Scholar
- 2.P.A. Lee, T.M. Rice, and P.W. Anderson, Solid St. Commun. 14, 703 (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.L.K. Hansen and D. Baeriswyl, to be published.Google Scholar
- 4.P.A. Lee and H. Fukuyama, Phys.Rev. B17, 542 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.B. Brüesch, S. Strassler, and H.R. Zeller, Phys.Rev. B21 219 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Fukuyama and P.A. Lee, Phys.Rev. B17, 535 (1978).Google Scholar