On the equation Δψ = κ2sinh ψ and its applications
The Poisson-Boltzmann equation with two unequal spheres and fixed positive surface potentials is analyzed. The electrostatic energy is computed, and the fact that a fraction of the surface maybe attractive while the rest is repulsive is obtained. This is a new concept, counter intuitive and observed by experiments.
KeywordsElectrostatic Repulsion Critical Radius Electrostatic Energy Radial Symmetry Surface Separation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Hogg, T.W. Healy, and D.W. Fuerstenau, Trans. Faraday Soc., 1966, 62, 1638.Google Scholar
- 2.B.V. Derjaguin, Disc. Faraday Soc., 1954, 18, 85.Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Kuo and E. Matijević, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1980, 78, 407.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Barouch, E. Matijević, T.A. Ring, J.M. Finlan, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1978, 67, 1; 1979, 70, 400.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Barouch, E. Matijević (in press), E. Barouch, E. Matijevic and T. Wright (in press).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Kulkarni (in preparation).Google Scholar