Proof rules for communication abstractions
A modular proof system is presented for proving partial correctness and freedom from deadlock of concurrent programs using scripts (including recursive scripts). Its applications to augmentations of CSP and a subset of ADA are discussed. The proof rules are a generalization of both the procedure rules and the concurrency rules. Correctness proofs for examples are presented.
C.R. CategoriesD.3.3 F.3.1 F.3.3
Key Wordsproof rule verification concurrent programming deadlock script invariants
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AFR80]Apt, K.R., Francez, N., and de Roever, W.P. A proof system for communicating sequential processes. ACM Trans. Prog. Lang. Syst. 2,3 (July 1980), 359–385.Google Scholar
- [AP81]Apt, K.R., Ten years of Hoare logic: A survey-part 1. ACM Trans. Prog. Lang. Syst. 3,4 (October 1981), 431–483.Google Scholar
- [AP83]Apt, K.R., Formal justification of proof system for communicating sequential processes. ACM Trans. Prog. Lang. Syst. 30,1 (January 1983), 197–216.Google Scholar
- [EF82]Elrad, T., Francez, N. Decomposition of distributed programs into communication-close layers. Science of Computer Programming 2 (1982) 155–173, North-Holland.Google Scholar
- [FH83]Francez, N., and Hailpern, B. Script: A communication abstraction mechanism. ACM-SIGACT 2 nd annual PODC conf., Montreal, (August 1983).Google Scholar
- [GL80]Gries, D., and Levin, G. Assignment and procedure call proof rules. ACM Trans. Prog. Lang. Syst. 2,4 (October 1980), 564–579.Google Scholar
- [GR]Gerth, R., and de Roever, W.P. A proof system for concurrent ada programs. to appear in SCP. Tech. Rep. RUU-CS-83-2, U. of Utrecht, October 1983.Google Scholar
- [HO71]Hoare, C.A.R. Procedures and parameters: An axiomatic approach. In Symp. Semantics of Algorithmic Languages, E. Engeler, Ed., Notes in Mathematics 188, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1971, 102–116.Google Scholar
- [HO78]Hoare, C.A.R. Communicating sequential processes. Commun. ACM 21,8 (August 1978), 666–677.Google Scholar
- [OG76]Owicki, S.S., and Gries, D. An axiomatic proof technique for parallel programs. I. Acta Inf. 6, 1976, 319–340.Google Scholar