Approximation algorithm for maximum independent set in planar traingle-free graphs
The maximum independent set problem is NP-complete even when restricted to planar graphs, cubic planar graphs or triangle free graphs. The problem of finding an absolute approximation still remains NP-complete. Various polynomial time approximation algorithms, that guarantee a fixed worst case ratio between the independent set size obtained to the maximum independent set size, in planar graphs have been proposed. We present in this paper a simple and efficient, O(|V|) algorithm that guarantees a ratio 1/2, for planar triangle free graphs. The algorithm differs completely from other approaches, in that, it collects groups of independent vertices at a time. Certain bounds we obtain in this paper relate to some interesting questions in the theory of extremal graphs.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Vertex Cover Independence Number Adjacency List Inverted List
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.O. ALBERTSON, Finding an independent set in planar graphs. In Graphs and Combinatorics, R.A. Bari and F. Harary, Eds. Springer, Berlin (1974) pp.173–179.Google Scholar
- 2.N. CHIBA, T. NISHIZEKI AND N. SAITO, A linear 5-coloring algorithm of planar graphs, J. Algorithms, 2(1981), pp.317–327.Google Scholar
- 3.N. CHIBA, T. NISHIZEKI AND N. SAITO, An algorithm for finding a large independent set in planar graphs, Networks 13(1983), pp. 247–252.Google Scholar
- 4.N. CHIBA, T. NISHIZEKI AND N. SAITO, An approximation algorithm for the maximum independent set problem on planar graphs, SIAM J.Comput., 11(1982), pp.663–675.Google Scholar
- 5.M.R. GAREY AND D.S. JOHNSON, Computers and Intractability: A guide to the theory of NP-completeness, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.M.R. GAREY, D.S. JOHNSON AND L. STOCKMEYER, Some simplified NP-complete graph problems, Theoret. Comput. Sci., 1(1976), pp.237–267.Google Scholar
- 7.J.R. GRIGGS, Lower bounds on the independence number in terms of degree, J. Comb. Th. Ser. B. 34 (1983), pp. 22–39.Google Scholar
- 8.F. HARARY, Graph Theory, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1972.Google Scholar
- 9.R.J. LIPTON AND R.E. TARJAN, Applications of the planar separator theorem, SIAM J. Comput., 9(1980), pp.615–627.Google Scholar
- 10.J.B. SHEARER, A note on the independence number of triangle free graphs, Disc. Math., 46, (1983), No.1, pp.83–87.Google Scholar