Abstraction concepts for modeling screen oriented dialogue interfaces
We present a formalization of screen oriented dialogue concepts which are widely used in modern dialogue systems. The dialogue concepts which are considered are menus, forms, and windows. With respect to different dialogue styles as e.g. command language oriented dialogues or dialogues based on using a pointing device several different types of abstract models are introduced and discussed.
The presented concepts may be used within a functional specification of a dialogue interface. The specification method which we are using is the Vienna Development Method (VDM).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /BjJo78/.Bjorner, D., Jones, C.B. (eds.): The Vienna Development Method: The Meta-Language, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 61, Springer Verlag, 1978Google Scholar
- /BjJo82/.Bjorner, D., Jones, C.B.: Formal Specification and Software Development, Prentice Hall, 1982Google Scholar
- /GuHo80/.Guttag, J., Horning, J.J.: Formal Specification as a Design Tool, in: Proc. Principles of Programming Languages, 1980Google Scholar
- /HaHa82/.Hansen, M.R., Hansen, B.S.: A Generic Application Programming System, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Master Thesis, 1982Google Scholar
- /Jako83/.Jakob, R.J.K.: Using Formal Specifications in the Design of a Human Computer Interface, in: CACM 26, 4 (April 1983), 259–264Google Scholar
- /Mohr83/.Mohrmann, J.: Formal Specification of a Form Oriented Dialogue Interface, University of Stuttgart, Institut für Informatik, Master Thesis, 1983Google Scholar
- /Stoy77/.Stoy, J.E.: Denotational Semantics: The Scott-Strachey Approach to Programming Language Theory, MIT Press, 1977Google Scholar
- /Stud84/.Studer, R.: Abstract Models of Dialogue Concepts. in: Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Software Engineering, Orlando, 1984Google Scholar
- /Sufr82/.Sufrin, B.: Formal Specification of a Display-Oriented Text Editor, in: Science of Computer Programming 1 (1982), 175–202Google Scholar
- /Wass82/.Wasserman, A.I.: The User Software Engineering Methodology, An Overview, in: Olle et al. (eds.) Information Systems Design Methodologies: A Comparative Review, North-Holland Publ. Co., 1982Google Scholar
- /Wass84/.Wasserman, A.I.: Extending State Transition Diagrams for the Specification of Human-Computer Interaction, University of California, San Francisco, Medical Information Science, Technical Report, 1984Google Scholar