Rayleigh-Benard instability : Experimental study of the wavenumber selection
We have presented an experiment in which the wavelength selection of parallel rolls pattern is studied for a large range of Rayleigh number. Far from the threshold, the domain of allowed wavenumbers, in our experiment, can be interpreted, to a certain extent, as being a simple distortion of the 2-D rolls linear stability domain /8/. However, when we approach the convection threshold, we must use a selection mechanism which takes into account the sidewalls, in order to interpret our results. Furthermore, our results present, at the vicinity of the threshold, a good quantitative agreement with Cross et al. predictions. The selected domain is reduced in regard to the stability region analysed by Busse and Clever.
KeywordsRayleigh Number Selection Mechanism Stability Domain Good Quantitative Agreement Conductive Regime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.E.L. KOSCHMIEDER.-Adv. Chem. Phys., 26, p. 177–211 (1974).Google Scholar
- /3/.Y. POMEAU and S. ZALESKI.-J. Physique, 42, p. 515–528 (1981).Google Scholar
- /4/.Y. POMEAU and P. MANNEVILLE.-Phys. Letters, 75A, p. 296–298 1980).Google Scholar
- /6/.B. MARTINET, P. HALDENWANG, G. LABROSSE, J.C. PAYAN, R. PAYAN. — J. Physique-Lettres, 43, p. L161–L169 (1982).Google Scholar
- /7/.H. OERTEL, Jr.-“Natural convection in enclosures“, presented at the National Heat Transfer Conference, Orlando, Florida. H.T.D., vol. 8 (ASME), p. 11–16 (1980).Google Scholar
- /8/.F.H. BUSSE and R.M. CLEVER.-J. Fluid Mech., 91, p. 319–335 (1979).Google Scholar
- /9/.J. MAURER and A. LIBCHABER.-J. Physique-Lettres, 41, p. L515–L518 (1980).Google Scholar
- /10/.J.M, PIQUEMAL.-Thèse de Troisième Cycle, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, (1982), (unpublished).Google Scholar