Interface roughening in random field models
In the present paper a first attempt to a statistical mechanics of interface roughening in random systems has been outlined. It proved to be difficult to obtain exact results even for weakly disordered systems such that crude approximations had to be used. The origin of these difficulties is that the interface is anon-local object: its shape and energy depends on the precise arrangement of the RFs (or the impurities) even if they are very distant. Therefore, the interface adopts shapes, that are unfavourable locally in order to minimize its total (free) energy. This has its mathematical correpondence in the non-analytic dependence of the thermodynamic quantities on h 2 0 (or the impurity concentration), which seems to rule out straight-forward perturbation expansions (and eventually also the replica method). The approach in its present form is still to crude to determine bulk critical properties or the nature of the roughening transition. Thus, both from a physical and a methodological point of view,further attempts in this field seem to be of interest.
KeywordsDomain Wall Random Field Capillary Wave Disorder Strength Soliton Lattice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wallace, D.J.: Proceedings of Ecole d' Eté de Physique Théorique, Les Houches 1982, North HollandGoogle Scholar
- 2.Zia, R.K.P.: Poceedings of the Scottish Universities Summer School in Physics 1983, ed. K. Bowler and A.Mc KaneGoogle Scholar
- 3.aVillain, J: Ordering in Strongly Fluctuating Condensed Matter Systems, ed. T. Riste, N.Y. Plenum Publ. Corp. 1980Google Scholar
- 6.Weeks, J.D.: Ordering in Strongly Fluctuating Condensed Matter Systems, ed. T. Riste, N.Y., Plenum Publ. Corp. 1980Google Scholar
- 7.Selke, W., this conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 10.bMoudden, A.H. and Als-Nielsen, J., unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 11.bPokrovskii, V.L., Talapov, A.L. and Bak, P., BNL-preprint 1983Google Scholar
- 13.Lyuksutov, I.F. and Feigel'man, M.V., ZhETF 85, 774 (1983)Google Scholar
- 29.Grinstein, G., Proceedings of the 29tH-Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Pittsburgh 1983Google Scholar
- 30.Villain, J., preprint 1983Google Scholar
- 31.Krey, U., Z. Physik, 1984 (in press)Google Scholar