Executable specification of static semantics
Semantic specifications written using inference rules may be executed. The method may be compared with the approach taken in the SIS system of Peter Mosses [Mos78].
A Prolog system is adequate for executing such a specification.
Intensive use of overloading make semantic specifications easier and more elegant.
Typol seems to be a very intuitive way to introduce semantic specifications into a system like Mentor. We would like to use more of Prolog's power (back-tracking for example) to specify the static semantics of programming languages with overloading, such as Ada. Other examples will be needed to improve the Typol formalism and to see exactly what its limits are, both from a theoretical and a practical standpoint.
KeywordsInference Rule Abstract Syntax Semantic Function Static Semantic Proof Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bjm 83.G. Barberye, T. Joubert, M. Martin, Manuel d'utilisation de Prolog/Cnet — version Pascal/Multics 2.00 C.N.E.T. NT/PAA/CLC/ICS/1058, Paris, October 1983Google Scholar
- Des 83.Th. Despeyroux, Spécifications sémantiques dans le système Mentor, Thèse de 3ème cycle, Université Paris-XI, Orsay, October 1983Google Scholar
- Dhkl 80.V. Donzeau-Gouge, G. Huet, G. Kahn, B. Lang, Programming environments based on structured editors: the MENTOR experience, Rapport de recherche no 26, Inria, July 1980Google Scholar
- Dhkll 75.V. Donzeau-Gouge, G. Huet, G. Kahn, B. Lang, J.-J. Lévy, A structure oriented program editor: a first step toward computer assisted programming, International Computing Symposium, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1975Google Scholar
- Dkl 78.V. Donzeau-Gouge, G. Kahn, B. Lang, A complete machine-checked definition of a simple programming language using denotational semantics, Rapport de recherche no 330, Inria, October 1978Google Scholar
- Dm 82.L. Damas, R. Milner, Principal type-schemes for functional program, ACM, 1982Google Scholar
- Don 82.V. Donzeau-Gouge, Les raisons des choix dans la définition formelle du langage Ada, Thèse d'état, Université Paris-7 July 1982Google Scholar
- Gmw 79.M. Gordon, R. Milner, C. Wadsworth, Edinburg LCF, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1979Google Scholar
- Gor 79.M.S.C. Gordon, Descriptive technique for denotational semantics, Springer Verlag, 1979Google Scholar
- Inria 80.Formal definition of the Ada programming language, Honewell Inc., CII-Honewell Bull, Inria, November 1980Google Scholar
- John 78.S. C. Johnson, Yacc: Yet Another Compiler-Compiler Bell Laboratories, July 1978Google Scholar
- Klmm 82.G. Kahn, B. Lang, B. Melese, E. Morcos, Metal: a formalism to specify formalisms, Science of Computer Programming, vol. 3, no 2, p. 151–188, August 83Google Scholar
- Knu 68.D. E. Knuth, Semantics of context-free languages, Mathematical Systems Theory, 2, 2, p. 127–145, 1968, correction in vol. 5, 1, p. 95–96, 1971Google Scholar
- Mos 78.P. Mosses, SIS: a compiler generator system using denotational semantics, DAIMI, University of Aarhus, 1978Google Scholar
- Mqs 82.D. B. MacQueen, R. Sethi, A semantic model of types for applicative languages, ACM symposium on LISP and functional programming, p. 243–252, 1982.Google Scholar
- Mil 78.R. Milner, A theory of type polymorphism in programming, JCSS 17,3, p. 348–375, 1978Google Scholar
- Pau 81.L. Paulson, A compiler generator for semantic grammars, PhD Thesis, Stanford University, December 1981Google Scholar
- Plo 81.G.D. Plotkin, A structural approach to operational semantics, DAIMI FN-19, Aarhus university, September 1981Google Scholar
- Pra 76.V. Pratt, Semantical considerations on Floyd-Hoare logic, 17th Focs, 109–121, Huston, 1976Google Scholar
- Rep 82.T. W. Reps, Generating language-based environments, PhD Thesis, Cornell University, August 1982Google Scholar
- Rob 65.J. A. Robinson, A machine-oriented logic based on the resolution principle JACM 12,1, p. 23–41, 1965Google Scholar
- Set 77.R. Sethi, Semantics of computer programs: overview of language definition methods, Bell Laboratories, September 1977Google Scholar