The algebra of recursively defined processes and the algebra of regular processes
We introduce recursively defined processes and regular processes, both in presence and absence of communication. It is shown that both classes are process algebras. As an example of recursively defined processes, Bag and Stack are discussed in detail. It is shown that Bag cannot be recursively defined without merge. We introduce fixed point algebras which have useful applications in several proofs.
KeywordsCommunication Function Process Algebra Denotational Semantic Recursive Definition Fixed Point Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DE BAKKER, J.W. & J.I. ZUCKER, Denotational semantics of concurrency, Proc. 14th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, p.153–158 (1982).Google Scholar
- DE BAKKER, J.W. & J.I. ZUCKER, Processes and the denotational semantics of concurrency, Information and Control, Vol.54, No.1/2, p.70–120, 1982.Google Scholar
- BERGSTRA, J.A. & J.W. KLOP, Process algebra for communication and mutual exclusion, Report IW 218/83, Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam 1983.Google Scholar
- BERGSTRA, J.A. & J.W. KLOP, The algebra of recursively defined processes and the algebra of regular processes, Report IW 235/83, Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam 1983.Google Scholar
- BERGSTRA, J.A. & J.W. KLOP, Algebra of Communicating Processes, in: Proceedings of the CWI Symposium Mathematics and Computer Science (eds. J.W. de Bakker, M. Hazewinkel and J.K. Lenstra), CWI Monograph Series, North-Holland. To appear.Google Scholar
- HENNESSY, M., A term model for synchronous processes, Information and Control, Vol.51, No.1(1981), p.58–75.Google Scholar
- HOARE, C.A.R., Communicating Sequential Processes, C.ACM 21 (1978), 666–677.Google Scholar
- HOARE, C.A.R., A Model for Communicating Sequential Processes, in: "On the Construction of Programs" (ed. R.M. McKeag and A.M. McNaghton), Cambridge University Press, 1980 (p.229–243).Google Scholar
- MILNER, R., A Calculus for Communicating Systems, Springer LNCS 92, 1980.Google Scholar