Polymorphic type schemes and recursive definitions
An extension to Milner's polymorphic type system is proposed and proved correct. Such an extension appears to be necessary for the class of languages with mutually recursive top-level definitions. We can now ascribe a more general type to such definitions than before.
KeywordsType Scheme Type Rule Type Assignment Type Constructor Recursive Definition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /BMS/.Burstall, R., MacQueen, D.B. and Sannella, D.T. HOPE: an experimental applicative language. Internal report, Dept. of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, 1980.Google Scholar
- /DM/.Damas, L. and Milner, R. Principal type schemes for functional programs. Proc. 9th ACM Symp. on Principles of programming languages, 1982.Google Scholar
- /GMW/.Gordon, M., Milner, R. and Wadsworth, C. Edinburgh LCF. Springer-Verlag LNCS 78, 1979.Google Scholar
- /Ho/.Homström, S. Polymorphic type schemes and concurrent computation in functional languages. PhD thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, Chalmers TH, S-412 96 Göteborg, 1983.Google Scholar
- /Mi/.Milner, R. A theory of type polymorphism in programming. Journal of computer and system sciences, 17(3), 1978.Google Scholar
- /MO/.Mycroft, A. and O'Keefe, R.A. A polymorphic type system for Prolog. To appear in Artificial Intelligence. Preliminary version in DAI research report. Dept. of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University.Google Scholar
- /MPS/.MacQueen, D.B., Plotkin, G.D. and Sethi, R. An ideal model for recursive polymorphic types. Proc. 11th ACM Symp. on Principles of programming languages, 1984.Google Scholar
- /MS/.MacQueen, D.B. and Sethi, R. A semantic model of types for applicative languages. Proc. Aspenäs workshop 1982.Google Scholar
- /Ro/.Robinson, J.A. A machine oriented logic based on the resolution principle. JACM 12(1), 1965.Google Scholar