Discovery of a hot, interactive companion to the S star HD 35155
During an IUE investigation of the chromospheres of S stars, we detected strong emission lines of such ions as C IV and Si IV and excess continuous emission in an SWP exposure of HD 35155 (S3,2).7hese emission lines indicate a hot gas with a state of ionization exceeding that found in the recently studied Ba star systems of Zeta Cap and 56 Peg, both of which have white dwarf companions. IUE observations 7 months later showed the continuum had decreased by about 0.5 mag. and the emission lines by 15–50%, the high excitation lines decreasing most rapidly.
KeywordsWhite Dwarf Infrared Spectrophotometry Strong Emission Line NASA Ames Research Computer Science Corporation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bregman, J.D., Johnson, H.R., Augason, G.C., and Witteborn, F.C. 1983, Ap.J. (Submitted).Google Scholar
- Eggen, O.J. 1972, Ap.J. 177, 489Google Scholar
- Keenan, P.C. and Boeshaar, P.C. 1980, Ap.J. Suppl. 43, 379.Google Scholar
- Wing, R.F. 1967, Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, University of CaliforniaGoogle Scholar
- Wing, R.F. and Yorka, S. 1977, Mon. Note R.A.S. 178, 383.Google Scholar