Radiative transfer in an expanding spherical medium
We describe a method for solving the transfer equation of a spectral line in statistical equilibrium with a background continuum; the atmosphere may be static or expanding and have plane or spherical symmetry. The method permits the rapid and accurate solution of line transfer problems in media with given gross structure. The basic approach is to separate the calculation into two parts: the accurate determination of the error with which an assumed, or an iterated, solution satisfies the conservation equations of statistical equilibrium; and the calculation of corrections by means of an approximate operator. The method combines differential as well as integral equations.
KeywordsIntegral Operator Conservation Equation Radiative Transfer Integrate Intensity Transfer Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- — 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, W. Kalkofen, editor; Cambridge University Press, Chapter 9.Google Scholar
- — 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, Chapter 6.Google Scholar
- — Kalkofen, W., 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, Chapter 15.Google Scholar
- — & Wehrse, R. 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, Chapter 11.Google Scholar
- — Nordlund, Å., 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, Chapter 8.Google Scholar
- Scharmer, G. B., 1983. Methods in Radiative Transfer, Chapter 7.Google Scholar
- — & Nordlund, Å.,.1982. Stockholm Obs. Rep. 19.Google Scholar
- — & Carlsson, 1983. preprint.Google Scholar
- Wehrse, R. & Kalkofen, W., 1984, in preparation.Google Scholar