Decidable properties of monadic recursive schemas with a depth parameter
Monadic table counter schemas (MTCS) are defined as extensions of recursive monadic schemas by incorporating a depth-of-recursion counter. The family of languages generated by MTCS under Herbrand interpretations is shown to be the family of ETOL languages. It is proven that the halting and divergence problems are decidable for free MTCS and that the freedom problem is decidable. These results are obtained using results on regular control sequences from L system theory.
KeywordsFunction Variable Equivalence Problem Simple Term Derivation Tree Formal Language Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CF]K. Culik, II and I. Fries, The decidability of the Equivalence Problem for DOL-Systems, Information and Control 36 (1978), 20–39.Google Scholar
- [D]P. J. Downey, OL Systems, Developmental Systems and Recursion Schemes, in "IEEE Proc. of the Conference on Biologically Motivated Automata Theory", McLean Va. (1974), 54–58.Google Scholar
- [E]J. Engelfriet, Simple Program Schemes and Formal Languages, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 20, 1974.Google Scholar
- [G]S. A. Greibach, Checking Automata and One-Way Stack Languages, Journal of Computer and System Science 3 (1969), 196–217.Google Scholar
- [GKR]J. Gonczarowski, H.C.M. Kleijn and G. Rozenberg, Grammatical Construction in Selective Substitution Grammars, in preparation.Google Scholar
- [GPP]R. E. Griswold, J. F. Poage and I. P. Plonsky, the SNOBOL4 Programming Language, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1971.Google Scholar
- [VL]J. van Leeuwen, Notes on Preset Pushdown Automata, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 15 (1974), 177–188.Google Scholar
- [LPP]D. C. Luckham, D. M. R. Park and M. S. Paterson, On Formalized Computer Programs, Journal of Computer and System Science 4 (1970), 220–249.Google Scholar
- [M]Z. Manna, Mathematical Theory of Computation, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- [RS]G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa, The Mathematical Theory of L Systems, Academic Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- [S]A. Salomaa, Formal Languages, Academic Press, New York, 1973.Google Scholar