Quantum non demolition measurements
The effort to detect gravitational radiation has motivated renewed interest in the quantum limitations to measurements.We have shown that in principal quantum mechanics does not preclude the detection of gravitational radiation.
We have also given a complete analysis, including state reduction, of two possible schemes to make Q.N.D. measurements. These are based on a “squeezed state” detection scheme and a quantum counting detection scheme.
It has been demonstrated that despite initial misgivings the parametric amplifier is capable of making “squeezed state” Q.N.D. measurements. This conclusion is reached by taking fully into account the reduction of state which occurs in a measurement sequence.
KeywordsHarmonic Oscillator Coherent State Density Operator Gravitational Radiation Free Evolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V.B. Braginsky, ZH.Eksp.Theor.Fiz., 53, 1434, (1968), [Sov.Phys. JETP, 26, 831].Google Scholar
- 2.W.G. Unruh, Phys.Rev., D18, 1764, (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.W.G. Unruh, Phys.Rev., D19, 2888, (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.C.M. Caves, In “Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravitation and Measurement Theory”, Eds. P. Meystre and M.O. Scully, Plenum (in press), (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.D.F. Walls, Nature, (to be published).Google Scholar
- 8.W.H. Louisell, A. Yariv, A.E. Siegman Phys.Rev., 124, (1961).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Hillery and M.O. Scully, In “Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravitation and Measurement Theory”, Eds. P. Meystre and M.O. Scully, Plenum, (in press), (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.G.J. Milburn, A.S. Lane and D.F. Walls, Phys.Rev.A., (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.W.H. Louisell, “Quantum Statistical Properties of Radiation”, Wiley, (1973).Google Scholar
- 14.P.D. Drummond and C.W. Gardiner, J.Phys., 13A, 2353, (1980).Google Scholar
- 15.E. Beltrametti and G. Casinelli, “The Logic of Quantum Mechanics”, Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, V15, Addison Wesley, (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Bloembergen, In “Proceedings of the International School ‘Enrico Fermi'”, Course LXIV, Ed. N. Bloembergen, North Holland, (1977).Google Scholar