Non-compact groups and irreducible representations
We review the modern development of the theory of linear irreducible infinite dimensional representations of noncompact groups. Such representations arise on spaces of states, spaces of observables, spaces of classical fields, etc. We connect the unitarity problem in mathematics to the elimination of ghosts in formalisms using indefinite Hermitian metrics.
KeywordsModule Product Maximal Compact Subgroup Unitary Irreducible Representation Conformal Algebra Noncompact Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1]A. Barut, R. Raczka. Theory of Group Representations and Applications. Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw (1977).Google Scholar
- 2]Dirac, P.A.M., Wave equations in conformal space. Annals of Math., Vol. 37 (1936), pp. 429–442.Google Scholar
- 3]Harish-Chandra, Representations of semisimple Lie groups II, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 76 (1954), 26–65.Google Scholar
- 4]D. Vogan, Representations of real reductive Lie groups. Progress in Mathematics Series. Birkhauser, Boston (1981).Google Scholar
- 5]A. Knapp, G. J. Zuckerman. Classification theorems for representations of semisimple Lie groups, Non-Commutative Harmonic Analysis, Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 587, Springer-Verlag, New York, (1977), pp. 138–159.Google Scholar
- 6]G. J. Zuckerman, Induced representations and quantum fields. To appear in “Group theory and its applications to Physics and Mathematical Physics,” proceedings of a conference held at University of Chicago, July 6–16, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7]Davydov, A.S.,Quantum Mechanics.NEU Press Technical Translation Series, (1966).Google Scholar
- 8]D. Vogan, G. J. Zuckerman, Unitary representations with non-zero cohomology. Preprint (1982).Google Scholar
- 9]H. Garland, G. J. Zuckerman, On unitarizable highest weight modules of Hermitian pairs. Journal of the Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo, Sec. I A. Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 877–889, (1982).Google Scholar
- 10]H. Garland, The arithmetic theory of loop algebras, Journal of Algebra 53 (1978), 480–551.Google Scholar