Phase transitions in high magnetic fields
The purpose of this paper is to summarize some of the research activities recently performed at the Laboratorium voor Hoge Magneetvelden at the University of Nijmegen The scope here and unifying aspect is magnetically induced phase transitions. Here we summarize transitions in the settling velocity of paramagnetic aggregates, suppression of spin fluctuations in UAl2, the phase diagram of a ferroelectric chiral smectic liquid crystal near the Lifshitz point and the transition from 3D to 2D conduction in a GaAs FET. In no way does this represent a complete review of transitioi but rather a summary of phase transitions observed at the magnet laboratory during the past year.
KeywordsSettling Velocity Magnetic Field Dependence Spin Fluctuation Smectic Layer Vertical Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.J.W. Verwey and J.Th.G. Overbeek, Theory of the Stability of Lyophobic Colloids, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1948.Google Scholar
- 3.A more complete discussion can be found in M.R. Parker, R.P.A.R. van Kleef, H.W. Myron and P. Wyder, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. (to be published)Google Scholar
- 9.A.J. Arko and J.E. Schirber, J. Phys. (Paris) Colloq. 40, C4–9 (1979).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Pepper, J. Phys. C 10, L173 (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.For a more complete description see: D.A. Poole, M. Pepper, K.-F. Berggren, G. Hill and H.W. Myron, J. Phys. C 15, L21 (1982).Google Scholar