Magneto-optical experiments on a thin InAs LAyer confined between GaSb in a parallel and perpendicular magnetic field
Far infrared magneto-optical experiments on a sample consisting of a thin (1000 Å) InAs layer confined between GaSb show for the magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the layers transitions between hole subbands localized in the GaSb and electron subbands localized in the InAs. This localization is induced by potentials wells created at the interface through the band bending due to the transfer of electrons from the GaSb to the InAs. In addition a double cyclotron resonance of the electrons and a single for the holes is observed. These observations are explained with a simple model for the subband structure at the InAs-GaSb interface. A magnetic field parallel to the interface leads to a change in the subband structure and hybrid electric and magnetic subbands are formed. Transitions between these subbands are observed experimentally and explained theoretically. In this context the influence of a parallel magnetic field on the subband structure in two dimensional systems in general is discussed.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Cyclotron Resonance High Magnetic Field Landau Level Magnetic Field Dependence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.G.A. Antcliffe, R.T. Bate, R.A. Reynolds, Proc. Conf. On the Physics of Semimetals and Narrow Gap Semiconductors, Dallas 1970, Ed. D.L. Carter and R.T. Bate, p. 499, Pergamon, New York (1971)Google Scholar
- 5.E. Bangert, K. von Klitzing, G. Landwehr, Proc. 12th Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, Stuttgart, 1974, ed. B.G. Teubner, Stuttgart (1974)Google Scholar
- 7.M. Alterelli, this conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 8.F. Koch in ‘Physics in high magnetic fields', Solid State Sciences 24, ed. S. Chikazumi, N. Miura, Springer, Berlin, (1981)Google Scholar
- 10.W. Beinvogl, A. Kamgan, J.F. Koch, Phys. Rev. B14, 1610, (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.H. Schaber, R.E. Doezema, Phys. Rev. B20, 5257, (1979)Google Scholar
- 15.J.C. Maan, Ch. Uihlein, L.L. Chang, L. Esaki, Solid State Commun., to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 16.T. Ando, J. Phys. Soc. Japn. 39, 411, (1975)Google Scholar
- 17.M. Wanner, R.E. Doezema, U. Strom, Phys. Rev. B12, 2883, (1975)Google Scholar