Defect reactions in gap caused by zinc diffusion
Shallow diffusions of zinc in GaP epitaxial layers were carried out varying the positions on the Ga-P-Zn phase diagram. Under special diffusion conditions zinc profiles were obtained as predicted by the subsitutional-interstitial theory in which the gallium vacancy equilibrium at the diffusion front is maintained. Otherwise, a tail was found in zinc profiles at concentrations below 5·1016 cm−3 not reported till now in GaP epitaxial layers. It is demonstrated that the degradation behaviour of green-emitting diodes is determined by the occurence of zinc diffusion tails in the active zone.
KeywordsDonor Concentration Defect Reaction Electroluminescence Spectrum Diffusion Front Zinc Diffusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See, e.g. H.C. Casey and G.O. Pearson, in “Point Defects in Solids” (Ed. J.H. Crawford and L.M. Slifkin) Vol. 2, 163 (1975)Google Scholar
- 2.R.K. Ball, P.W. Hutchinson and P.S. Dobson, Phil. Mag. A 43, 1299 (1981)Google Scholar
- 2a.U. Gösele and F. Morehead, J. Appl. Phys. 52, 4617 (1981)Google Scholar
- 3.J.C. Verplanke, J. Electrochem. Soc. 124, 469 (1977)Google Scholar
- 3a.B.W. Thomas, G.J. Rees and D.R. Wright, Solid State Electronics 23, 611 (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.M.B. Panish, J. Electrochem. Soc. 113, 224 (1966)Google Scholar
- 5.G.B. Stringfellow, M.E. Weiner and R.A. Burmeister, J. Electronic Materials 4, 363 (1975)Google Scholar
- 6.G. Ferenczi, P. Krispin and M. Somogyi, to be publishedGoogle Scholar