Numerical solution of viscous flow in unbounded fluid
Incompressible viscous flow fields induced by initial vorticity distributions with bounded support or exponential decay in the far field are investigated. A numerical scheme for the solution of the vorticity distribution and the velocity field is presented with special emphasis on the treatment of the boundary data. The efficiency of the scheme is demonstrated. The present method has been applied to the study of the merging and collision of vortex rings.
KeywordsVortex Ring Boundary Data Vorticity Distribution Vortex Filament NASA Langley Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown, C. W., “Aerodynamics of Wakes Vortices,” AIAA J., vol. 11, April 1973, pp. 531–536.Google Scholar
- 2.Greene, G. C., “Wake Vortex Alleviation,AIAA Paper 81-0798, May 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Leonard, A., “Vortex Methods for Flow Simulation,” J. of Comp. Physics, vol. 37, no. 3, October 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Lamb, H., Hydrodynamics. Dover, 6th ed., New York, 1945.Google Scholar
- 5.Wu, J. C., and Thompson, J. F., “Numerical Solutions of Time-Dependent Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations Using an Integro-Differential Formulation,” Computer and Fluids, vol. 1, 1973, pp. 197–215Google Scholar
- 6.Lo, R.K.C., and Ting, L., “Studies of the Merging of Vortices,” The Physics of Fluids, vol. 19, no. 6, June 1976, pp. 912–913.Google Scholar
- 7.Swarztrauber, P. N., and Sweet, R. A., “ALGORITHM 541, Efficient FORTRAN Subprograms for the Solution of Separable Elliptic Partial Differential Equations [D3],” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, vol. 5, no. 3, September 1979, pp. 352–364.Google Scholar
- 8.Truesdell, C., The Kinematics of Vorticity. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1954.Google Scholar
- 9.Howard, L. N., “Divergence Formulas Involving Vorticity”. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, vol. 1, no. 1, 1957, pp. 113–123.Google Scholar
- 10.Ting, L., “Studies on the Motion and Decay of Vortex Filaments”, Advances in Fluid Mechanics, vol. 148, Springer Verlag, 1981, pp. 67–105.Google Scholar
- 11.Ting, L., “Integral Invariants and Decay Laws for Vorticity Distributions,” APS Paper No. DH5, Fluid Dynamics Conf., Monterey, California, November 1981.Google Scholar
- 12.Weston, R. P., and Liu, C. H., “Approximate Boundary Condition Procedure for the Two-Dimensional Numerical Solution of Vortex Wakes,” AIAA Paper 82-0951, 1982.Google Scholar