On the progress of communication between two machines
We consider the following problem concerning any two finite state machines M and N which exchange messages via two one-directional channels. "Is there a positive integer K such that M and N with K-capacity channels never reach a nonprogress state?" The problem is shown to be undecidable in general. For a reasonable class of communicating machines, the problem is shown to be decidable; and the decidability algorithm is polynomial. We also discuss some sufficient conditions for the problem to have a a positive answer; these sufficient conditions can be checked for the given M and N in polynomial time.
KeywordsBounded communication communicating finite state machine communication deadlock communication protocol progress unspecified reception
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. V. Bochmann, "Finite state description of communication protocols," Computer Networks, Vol. 2, 1978, pp. 361–371.Google Scholar
- D. Brand and P. Zafiropulo, "On communication finite-state machines," IBM Research Report, RZ1053(#37725), Jan. 1981.Google Scholar
- P. R. Cunha and T. S. Maibaum, "A synchronization calculus for message oriented programming," Res. Rep. CS-80-43, Dept. of Comp. Sc., Univ. of Waterloo, Sep. 1980.Google Scholar
- A. Danthine, "Protocol representation with finite state models," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. COM-28, No. 4, April 1980, pp. 632–643.Google Scholar
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, Computers and interactability, a guide to the theory of NP-completeness, W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- M. G. Gouda and Y. T. Yu, "Designing deadlock-free and bounded communication protocols," Tech. Rep. 179, Dept. of Comp. Sc., Univ. of Texas at Austin, June 1981. submitted to IEEE Trans. on Comm..Google Scholar
- Z. Manna, Mathematical theory of computation, McGraw-Hill Book company, 1974.Google Scholar
- C. A. Sunshine, "Formal modeling of communication protocols," USC/Inform. Sc. Institute, Res. Rep. 81–89, March 1981.Google Scholar
- C. H. West, "An automated technique of communication protocol validation," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. COM-26, pp. 1271–1275, Aug. 1978.Google Scholar
- Y. T. Yu and M. G. Gouda, "Deadlock-detection for a class of communicating finite state machines," Tech. Rep. 193, Dept. of Computer Sciences, Univ. of Texas at Austin, Feb. 1982. Submitted to IEEE Trans. on Comm..Google Scholar
- P. Zafiropulo, et al., "Towards analyzing and synthesizing protocols," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. COM-28, No. 4, April 1980, pp. 651–661.Google Scholar