Guidelines for managing mathematical software libraries at computer centers
This paper sets down some of the issues involved in supporting mathematical software libraries and describes procedures that have been used with moderate success. As is often the case in human relations, the attitudes and personalities of the people involved have as much influence on the effectiveness of the service as the procedures one defines.
KeywordsStep Length Computer Center Actual Error User Problem Mathematical Software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Smith, B. T., et al., "Matrix Eigensystem Routines — EISPACK Guide," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 6, 2nd Edition, Springer-Verlag, 1976.Google Scholar
- Cody, W. J., "The FUNPACK Package of Special Function Subroutines," TOMS, Vol. 1, March 1975, pp. 13–25.Google Scholar
- Dongarra, J. J., Bunch, J. R., Moler, C. B., and Stewart, G. W., LINPACK Users' Guide, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1979, C. 112.Google Scholar
- More, J. J., Garbow, B. S., and Hillstrom, K. E., "User Guide for MINPACK-1," Argonne National Laboratory Report ANL-80-74, August 1980.Google Scholar
- Swarztrauber, P. Sweet, R., "Efficient FORTRAN Subprograms for the Solution of Elliptic Partial Differential Equations," NCAR Technical Note NCAR-TN/IA-109, July 1975.Google Scholar
- Bailey, C. B. and Jones, R. E., "Usage and Argument Monitoring of Mathematical Library Routines," ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, Vol. 1, No. 3, September 1975, pp. 196–209.Google Scholar
- Chan, T. F., Coughran, W. M., Jr., Grosse, E. H., and Heath, M. T., "A Numerical Library and Its Support," ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, Vol. 6, No. 2, June 1980, pp. 135–145.Google Scholar