Tools for the automation of database design
In the last four years we have implemented tools for various tasks associated with database design: logical design, physical design, and re-design. An integrated example is presented to review and illustrate the capabilities of these tools. Plans for integrating the tools themselves to provide a more complete and unified service to the database designer are also presented.
CR Categories3.64 4.33 4.49
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bachman, Charles W., "Data Structure Diagrams", Data Base, 1, 2, Quarterly newsletter of ACM-SIGBDP.Google Scholar
- 2.Beaver, Edward Nevin, "Dynamic Techniques for Restructuring the Conceptual Schema — An Implementation," Master's Thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.Clemons, Eric K., and Rob Gerritsen, "Self-Managing Data Base Systems", Decision Sciences Working Paper 78-03-05, March, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.CODASYL Data Base Task Group April 71 Report, available from ACM, New York City.Google Scholar
- 5.Gambino, Thomas J., and Rob Gerritsen, "A Database Design Decision Support System", Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference on Very Large Data Bases, October, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Gerritsen, Rob, "HI-IQ (Hierarchical Interactive Query): An Implemented Query Language for DBTG Databases", Decision Sciences Working Paper 76-09-03, September 1976.Google Scholar
- 7.Gerritsen, Rob, David J. Root, and Jack R. Buchanan, "Automated Data Base Programming," Decision Sciences Working Paper 77-07-05, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.Gerritsen, Rob, "A Preliminary System for the Design of DBTG Data Structures," CACM 18, 10, October 1975, pp551–557.Google Scholar
- 9.Gerritsen, Rob and Howard L. Morgan, "Dynamic Restructuring of Databases with Generation Data Structures," Proceedings ACM Conference 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.Gerritsen, Rob. Howard L. Morgan, and Michael D. Zisman, "On Some Metrics for Data Bases or What is a Very Large Data Base?", SIGMOD Record, V9, 1, June 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.Gerritsen, Rob, Thomas J. Gambino, and Frank Germano Jr. "Cost Effective Database Design: an Integrated Model," Decision Sciences Working Paper 77-11-01, University of Pennsylvania, 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.Gerritsen, Rob, SEED Reference Manual, International Data Base Systems, Inc., 1978.Google Scholar