Lattice dynamics and phase transitions in IV–VI semiconducting compounds
The lattice dynamics of semiconducting IV–VI compounds are treated on the basis of a three dimensional highly non-linear shell model. Two different types of exact solutions are obtained from this model which are phonons and non-linear periodic excitations (periodons). For SnTe the dispersion curves and the amplitudes of the periodon solutions are presented. It is shown that the phonon-periodon-coupling is the origin of the phonon anomalies in SnTe at q=π/3a and even more pronounced in K2SeO4 at q=2π/3a.
KeywordsLattice Dynamic Acoustic Phonon Motion Split Tural Phase Transition Phonon Anomaly
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).A.Bussmann-Holder, H.Bilz, W.Kress: Proc. 15th Int. Conf. Physics of Semiconductors, Kyoto 1980, and J. Phys. Soc. Japan 49 (1980) A737.Google Scholar
- 2).H.Bilz, A.Bussmann, G.Benedek, H. Büttner and D. Strauch: Ferroelectrics 25 (1980) 339.Google Scholar
- 3).H. Büttner, H.Bilz: in Recent Developments in Condensed Matter Physics Vol. 1 (ed. Devreese) p.49, Plenum (1981).Google Scholar
- 4).H.Bilz, H. Büttner, A.Bussmann-Holder, W.Kress and U.Schröder: to be published.Google Scholar
- 5).A.Bussmann, H.Bilz, R.Roenspiess and K.Schwarz: Ferroelectrics 25 (1980) 343.Google Scholar
- 6).A.Bussmann-Holder, H. Büttner, H.Bilz: Ferroelectrics, to be published.Google Scholar
- 7).W.Cochran, R.A.Cowley, G.Dolling, M.M.Elcombe: Proc. Roy. Soc. A932 (1966) 433.Google Scholar