Serializability problems of interleaved database transactions
The interleaved execution of database transactions produces correctness problems. It is called correct — or serializable —, if it is equivalent to a serial execution of the same transactions. An execution of a set of transactions is described by the sequence of the read/write actions — called schedule —, a reads-from rolation ϕ and an overwrite relation ω.
A database model is assumed, in which old values of the variables are still available. In this environment for a given schedule there exist a set of possible reads-from relations φ and a set of possible overwrite relations ω.
For a given schedule x, does there exist ϕOεφ, ωOεω, such that the execution described by (x,ϕO,ωO) is serializable?
For a given schedule x and given ϕOεφ, does there exist a ωOεω, such that the execution described by (x,ϕO,ωO) is serializable?
For a given schedule x and given ωOεω, does there exist a ϕOεφ, such that the execution described by (x,ϕO,ωO) is serializable?
KeywordsLinear Order Concurrency Control Read Action Database Model Database Transaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BeGo80]Bernstein,P.A., Goodman,N. Timestamp-based algorithms for concurrency control in distributed database systems VLDB 1980Google Scholar
- [BSW79]Bernstein,P.A. et al. Formal aspects of serializability in database concurrency control IEEE TOSE, vol. 5, no.3, 1979Google Scholar
- [EGLT76]Eswaran,K.P. et al. The notion of consistency and predicate locks in a database system CACM, vol.19, no.11, 1976Google Scholar
- [Lau80]Lausen,G. On database transaction schedulers with a high degree of parallelism Bericht 97, November 1980, Institut für Angewandte Informatik und Formale Beschreibungsverfahren Universität KarlsruheGoogle Scholar
- [Lau81]Lausen,G. The write fixed serializability problem WG81 Linz, 1981, to appearGoogle Scholar
- [Papa79]Papadimitriou,C.M. Serializability of concurrent database updates JACM, vol.26, no.4, 1979Google Scholar
- [Sch178]Schlageter,G. Process synchronization in database systems ACM TODS, vol.3, no.3, 1978Google Scholar
- [SLR76]Stearns, R.E. et al. Concurrency control for database systems 17th. Ann. IEEE Symp. FOCS 1976Google Scholar