Separate and integral compilation of subsystems
The source structure of a program written in a high level language and the structure of its target code are subject to different kinds of requirements. While the decomposition into modules and algorithms should be exclusively determined by logical considerations, the decomposition into code segments and routines has to suit the execution relations between these objects, and is subject to time and space tradeoffs.
This paper describes the concept of separate and integral subsystem compilation and its implementation in a multi-user software engineering environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.J.P. Dehottay, H. Feuerhahn, C.H.A. Koster, H.M. Stahl Syntaktische Beschreibung von CDL2, Forschungsgruppe Softwaretechnik, Tu Berlin, Sept. 1976Google Scholar
- /2/.M. Bayer, J. Jasper Interaktive syntaxorientierte Programmentwicklung im CDL2-Labor in: Notizen zum Interaktiven Programmieren, Organ der Fachgruppe Interaktives Programmieren der Gesellschaft für Informatik, Heft 2, Februar 1979Google Scholar
- /3/.M.Bayer, B.Böhringer, J.P.Dehottay, H.Feuerhahn, J.Jasper, C.H.A.Koster, U.Schmiedecke Software development in the CDL2-laboratory in: Software engineering environments, proceedings of a symposium in Lahnstein, June 1980, North Holland Publishing Company 1981Google Scholar
- /4/.H. Feuerhahn, C.H.A. Koster Static sematic checks in an open-ended lanugage, in: Constructing quality software, proceedings of an IFIP conference, Novosibirsk May 1977, North Holland Publishing Company 1978Google Scholar
- /5/.F. DeRemer, H. Kron Programming-in-the-large versus programming-in-the-small, International conference on reliable software, SIGPLAN Notices, vol.10, #6, June 1975Google Scholar
- /6/.C.H.A. Koster Visibility and types, conference on data, Salt Lake City, 1976, SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 11, special issueGoogle Scholar
- /7/.G. Goos Hierarchies in: F.L. Bauer (ed.), Advanced course on software engineering, Springer Verlag, 1973.Google Scholar
- /8/.G. Goos, U. Kastens Programming languages and the design of modular programs, in: Constructing quality software, proceedings of an IFIP conference, Novosibirsk, May 1977, North Holland Publishing Company 1978Google Scholar
- /9/.D.L. Parnas On the criteria to be used in decomposing systems into modules, Comm. ACM, vol. 15, #12, Dec. 1972Google Scholar
- /10/.P. Holager On the structure of programs as background for a discussion of modules, working paper, KU Nijmegen, Informatics Department, June 1978, presented to IFIP WG 2.4 meeting, Twente, 1978Google Scholar
- /11/.J.D. Ichbiah, G. Ferran Separate definition and compilation in LIS and its implementation, MOL bulletin #6, Feb. 1977 also in: Design and implementation of programming languages, DoD workshop, Ithaka 1976, Springer VerlagGoogle Scholar
- /12/.W.M. Gentleman, J.J. Munro Designing overlay structures, Software-Practice and Experience 7, 493–500, 1977Google Scholar