Multiplicative complexity of a bilinear form over a commutative ring
We characterize the class of Noetherian commutative rings K such that the multiplicative complexity of a bilinear form over K coincides with its rank. The asymptotic behaviour of the multiplicative complexity of bilinear forms from one special class over the polynomial rings is described, and in particular it is shown that there is no finite upper bound for the difference between the multiplicative complexity of a bilinear form from this class and the rank of this form. The relationship between the multiplicative complexity of a bilinear form over a ring K and homological properties of the ring is explained.
KeywordsBilinear Form Commutative Ring Integral Domain Polynomial Ring Polynomial Multiplication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Borodin A., Munro M. The computational complexity of algebraic and numeric problems. Ser.Th.of Comput., Amer. Elsev., N.Y., 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.Winograd S. On the number of multiplications necessary to compute certain functions. Communs Pure Appl.Math.,1970,vol.23, p.165–179.Google Scholar
- 3.Strassen V. Vermeidung von Divisionen. J.reine angew.Math., 1973, B.264,S.184–202.Google Scholar
- 4.Schönhage A. Partial and total matrix multiplication. Prepr.University Tubingen,1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Fiduccia C.M., Zalcstein Y. Algebras having linear multiplicative complexity. J.Assoc.Comput.Mach., 1977,vol.24,No 2,p.311–331.Google Scholar
- 6.Grigor'ev D.Yu. Multiplicative complexity of a pair of bilinear forms and of the polynomial multiplication. Lect.Notes Comput. Sci., 1978,vol.64,p.250–256.Google Scholar
- 7.Grigor'ev D.Yu. Some new bounds on tensor rank. Prepr. LOMI E-2-78,Leningrad,1978.Google Scholar
- 8.Ja'Ja' J. Optimal evaluation of pairs of bilinear forms. Proc. 10-th Ann.ACM Symp.Th.Comput., San-Diego, California, 1978,p.173–183Google Scholar
- 9.Grigor'ev D.Yu. Algebraic computational complexity of a set of bilinear forms. Journal of Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, 1979,vol.19,No 3,p.563–580 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 10.Grigor'ev D.Yu. Relation between the rank and the multiplicative complexity of a bilinear form over a Noetherian commutative ring. Notes of Scientific Seminars of Leningrad Branch of Mathematical Institute of Academy of Sciences of the USSR,1979,vol.86,p.66–81 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 11.Maclane S. Homology. Springer-Verlag, 1963.Google Scholar