Negative results on the size of deterministic right parsers
The problem of the existence of polynomial size deterministic right parsers for classes of context-free grammars is studied. The answer is shown to be negative for the class of LR(1) grammars. A similar problem concerning parsers which obey the correct prefix property is also investigated. Even strict deterministic grammars may require exponential parser size in this case.
KeywordsInput String Exponential Growth Rate Polynomial Size Topmost Part Multiple Shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aho, A.V., and Ullman, J.D., The Theory of Parsing, Translation, and Compiling, Vols. I,II, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1972/3.Google Scholar
- 2.Geller, M.M., and Harrison, M.A., Characteristic parsing: A framework for producing compact deterministic parsers, Parts I,II, Journal of Computer and System Sciences 14 (1977) 265–342.Google Scholar
- 3.Geller, M.M., Hunt III, H.B., Szymanski, T.G., and Ullman, J.D., Economy of description by parsers, DPDA's, and PDA's, Theoretical Computer Science 4 (1977) 143–153.Google Scholar
- 4.Ginsburg, S., and Greibach, S.A., Deterministic context-free languages, Information and Control 9 (1966) 602–648.Google Scholar
- 5.Harrison, M.A., Introduction to Formal Language Theory, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1978.Google Scholar
- 6.Harrison, M.A., and Havel, I.M., Strict deterministic grammars, Journal of Computer and System Sciences 7 (1973) 237–277.Google Scholar
- 7.Nijholt, A., context-free Grammars: Covers, Normal Forms, and Parsing, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 93, Springer, Berlin, 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.Pittl, J., On LLP(k) parsers, to appear in Journal of Computer and System Sciences.Google Scholar
- 9.Ukkonen, E., A modification of the LR(k) method for constructing compact bottom-up parsers (extended abstract), in: Automata, Languages, and Programming, H.A. Maurer, ed., Lecture Notes in Computer Science 71, Springer, Berlin (1979) 646–658.Google Scholar
- 10.Ukkonen, E., On size bounds for deterministic parsers, to appear in Automata, Languages, and Programming 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.Valiant, L.G., Decision problems for families of deterministic pushdown automata, University of Warwick, Computer Centre, Report No. 7, 1973.Google Scholar