On the representation of data types
Representations of data types are presented, independently of the specification method used, by means of a generalization of the derivor concept, in a way that permits handling iteration and/or recursion, without losing the property of being closed under composition. The representation correctness is presented in terms of a commutative diagram, which permits to avoid the use of representation invariants. Also, a new concept of restricted representation is presented to deal with situations such as the implementation of a stack by a bounded array.
KeywordsData Type Partial Tree Abstract Data Type Initial Algebra Restricted Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).ADJ (J.A. Goguen, J.W. Thatcher, E.G. Wagner), An initial algebra approach to the specification, correctness and implementation of abstract data types, IBM Research Report RC-6487, 1976.Google Scholar
- (3).ADJ (J.W. Thatcher, E.G. Wagner, J.B. Wright), Many-sorted and ordered algebraic theories, IBM Research Report RC-7595, 1979.Google Scholar
- (4).H.D. Ehrich, Extensions and implementations of abstract data type specifications, Proc. Conf. MFCS'78, Zakopane, Springer Lect. Not. in Comp. Sci. 64, 1978, 155–163.Google Scholar
- (5).H. Ehrig, H.-J. Kreowski, P. Padawitz, Algebraic implementation of abstract data types: concept, syntax, semantics and correctness, Proc. ICALP' 80, Springer Lect. Not. in Comp. Sci. 85, 1980, 142–156.Google Scholar
- (6).J.A. Goguen, Abstract errors for abstract data types, UCLA Semantics Theory of Computation Report 6, February 1977.Google Scholar
- (7).J.V. Guttag, E. Horowitz, D.R. Musser, Abstract data types and software validation, USC Research Report ISI/RR-76-48, 1976.Google Scholar
- (9).R. Nakajima, M. Honda, H. Nakahara, Describing and verifying programs with abstract data types, in Formal Description of Programming Concepts, Ed. E.J. Neuhold, 527–556, North-Holland, 1978.Google Scholar
- (10).C. Pair, Sur les modèles des types abstraits algébriques, Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy Research Report 80 P 052, 1980.Google Scholar