Proof theoretic methodology for propositional dynamic logic
We relate by syntactic techniques finitary and infinitary axiomatizations for the iterator-construct * of Propositional Dynamic Logic PDL. This is applied to derive the Interpolation Theorem for PDL, and to provide a new proof of the semantic completeness of Segerberg's axiomatic system for PDL.
Contrary to semantic techniques used to date, our proof of completeness is relatively insensitive to changes in the language and axioms used, provided some minimum syntactic closure properties hold. For instance, the presence of the test-operator adds no difficulty, and the proof also establishes the Interpolation Theorem and the closure under iteration of a constructive variant of PDL.
KeywordsInference Rule Sequential Calculus Dynamic Logic Interpolation Theorem Algorithmic Logic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Be]F. Berman, A completeness technique for D-axiomatizable semantics; Proc. Eleventh ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing (1979) 160–166.Google Scholar
- [CO]R.L. Constable and M.J. O'Donnell, A Programming Logic; Winthrop, Cambridge (1978).Google Scholar
- [FL]M. Fischer and R. Ladner, Propositional Dynamic Logic of regular programs; Jour.Comp.Syst.Sc. 18 (1979) 194–211.Google Scholar
- [Ga]D.M. Gabbay, Axiomatizations of Logics of Programs; manuscript, (1977).Google Scholar
- [KP]D. Kozen and R. Parikh, An elementary proof of the completeness of PDL; to appear in Theor. Comp. Sc..Google Scholar
- [Mi]G. Mirkowska, Model existence theorems in algorithmic logic with non-deterninistic programs; unpublished report, University of Warsaw.Google Scholar
- [Ni]H. Nishimura, Sequential methods in Propositional Dynamic Logic; Acta Informatica 12 (1979) 377–400.Google Scholar
- [Pal]R. Parikh, A completeness result for PDL; Symp. on Math. Foundations of Computer Science, Springer LNCS (1978), and to appear in Theoretical Comp Sc..Google Scholar
- [Pa2]R. Parikh, Propositional logics of programs; Proc. Seventh ACM Symp. on Principles of Programming languages (1980) 186–192.Google Scholar
- [Pr1]V.R. Pratt, Semantical considerations in Floyd/Hoare Logic; Proc. 17th IEEE Symp. Foundations of Comp. Sc. (1976) 109–121.Google Scholar
- [Pr2]V.R. Pratt, A practical decision method for Propositional Dynamic Logic; Proc. Tenth ACm Symp. on Theory of Computing (1978), 326–337.Google Scholar
- [Pr3]V.R. Pratt, Models of program logics; Proc. Twentieth IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science (1979), 115–122.Google Scholar
- [Sa]A. Salwicki, Formalized algorithmic languages; Bull. Acad. Pol. Sc. Ser. Sc. Math. Astr. Phys. 18 (1970) 227–232.Google Scholar
- [Se]K. Segerberg, A completeness theorem in the modal logic of programs; Notices Amer. Math. Soc. 24 (1977) A522.Google Scholar
- [Sm]R.M. Smullian, First Order Logic; Springer, Berlin (1968).Google Scholar
- [T]G. Takeuti, Proof Theory; North-Holland, Amsterdam (1975).Google Scholar