Direct numerical simulations of turbulent shear flows
Direct numerical simulations of turbulent free shear flows have been shown to be in generally good agreement with self.-similarity theory and laboratory data. The temporal development of a number of important statistical quantities has been shown to have the proper behavior, and the spatial evolution of the flow field is consistent with predictions. The main potential difficulties with the application of these methods are the inadequate initialization procedure and statistical scatter in the data. However, we do not see these problems as being insurmountable. The evolution of turbulence in a free shear flow is governed by a complex balance among the following mechanisms: generation of energy from the mean flow, turbulent diffusion by the turbulence, intercomponent transfer of energy, and dissipation. Our statistical results indicate that the direct numerical simulations are indeed faithfully representing these physical processes. We are quite optimistic about the future usefulness of direct numerical simulations as a scientific research tool.
KeywordsDirect Numerical Simulation Reynolds Stress High Order Moment Statistical Scatter Turbulent Shear Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Higuchi, Hiroshi (1977) PhD Thesis, California Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Brown, G. L. and Roshko, A. (1974) J. Fluid Mech., 64, pp. 775–816.Google Scholar
- Orszag, S. A. (1971) Stud. Appl. Math, 50, p. 395.Google Scholar
- Orszag, S. A. and Pao, Y. H. (1974) Adv. Geophys., Vol. 18A, pp. 225–236.Google Scholar
- Pao, Y.-H., and Lin, J.-T. (1973) Flow Research Report No. 12, December.Google Scholar
- Rogallo, R. S. (1977) NASA Document No. NASA TM-73,203.Google Scholar
- Riley, J. J. and Metcalfe, R. W. (1978) NASA document NASA CR-152282.Google Scholar
- Riley, J. J. and Metcalfe, R. W. (1980a) Paper No. AIAA-80-0274.Google Scholar
- Riley, J. J. and Metcalfe, R. W. (1980b) from Turbulent Shear Flows II, (ed. by Bradbury, et al.), Springer, Verlag.Google Scholar
- Wygnanski, I. and Fiedler, H. E. (1970) J. Fluid Mech., 41, pp. 327–361.Google Scholar