Reformulation of the method of characteristics for multidimensional flows
The method of characteristics is reformulated so as to simplify it conceptually and thus render it easily programable for multidimensional computations. A transformation to characteristic coördinates and a change in notation allows one to coach the theory of characteristics in the language of geometrical wave theory or of the particle mechanics. The dependent variables (\(\vec u\),p,p) are given uniquely in terms of characteristic coördinates, while the latter satisfy the Hamiltonian equations. Computations with the method of characteristics are reduced to the determination of Hamiltonian trajectories in space-time, a task not unduely complex even in multidimensional cases.
KeywordsNonlinear Boundary Condition Riemann Invariant Particle Mechanic Outflow Direction Algebraic Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- COURANT, R. & HILBERT D. 1962 Methods of Mathematical Physics. II. Interscience.Google Scholar
- KENTZER, C.P. 1971. Lecture Notes in Physics. 8, 108–113, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- KENTZER, C.P. 1978 Arch. Mech (Arch. Mech. Stos.). 31, 2, 295–299.Google Scholar
- LIGHTHILL, M.J. 1965 J. Inst. Maths Applics. 1, 1, 1–28.Google Scholar
- RUSANOV, V.V. 1963 Zh. Vych. Mat. i Mat. Fiz. 3, 3, 508–527.Google Scholar