Alternating cycle covers and paths
The boundary between the class P (problems solvable in polynomial time) and the class of NP-complete problems (probably not solvable in polynomial time) is investigated in the area of alternating cycle covers and alternating paths. By means of logarithm space reductions it is shown, that the transition from undirected graphs to directed graphs causes a jump from polynomial time to NP-Completeness.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Garey, D. Johnson: "Computers and Intractibility, A guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness", San Francisco 1979Google Scholar
- N. Christofides: " Graph Theory, An Algorithmic Approach", Academic press, 1975Google Scholar
- W. Savitch: " Relationships between nondeterministic and deterministic Tape Complexities", ICSS 4 (1970) pp. 179–192Google Scholar
- B. Monien, D. Janssen: " Über die Komplexität der Fehlerdiagnose bei Systemen", ZAMM 57 (1977) pp. 315–317Google Scholar
- O. Vornberger: "Komplexität von Wegeproblemen in Graphen" Bericht Nr. 5, Reihe Theoretische Informatik, FB 17 der GH PaderbornGoogle Scholar