Graph algorithms for the synthesis and manipulation of data base schemes
In this paper the graph formalism for the representation of relational data base schemes is presented.
A particular kind of graph, the Schema Graph, is introduced for representing the attributes and the functional dependencies of a scheme.
Some problems which are central in data base design are expressed in this formalism and graph algorithms (such as algorithms for closure, minimal condensed graph, etc.) for their solution are outlined.
KeywordsFunctional Dependency Graph Algorithm Schema Graph Relation Instance Simple Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.W. ARMSTRONG, "Dependency Structures on Database Relationships"; Proc. IFIP 74, North Holland (1974).Google Scholar
- C. BATINI, A. D'ATRI, "Rewriting Systems as a tool for Relational Database Design", Graph Grammars and their application to Comp. Sc. and Biology, Lecture Notes in Comp. Sc., Springer Verlag, vol. 73, (1979)Google Scholar
- C. BEERI, P.A. BERNSTEIN, "Computational Problems Related to the Design of Normal Form Relational Schemes", ACM Trans. on Database Sys., vol. 4, n.1, (1979).Google Scholar
- J. BISKUP, U.DAYAL, P.A. BERNSTEIN, "Synthesizing Independent Database Schemas", Proc. ACM SIGMOD, (1979).Google Scholar
- E.F. CODD, "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks", C. ACM, vol. 13, n.6, (1970).Google Scholar
- H.T. HSU, "An Algorithm for Finding a Minimal Equivalent Graph of a Diagraph", J. ACM, vol.22, n.1, (1975).Google Scholar
- D.M. MOYLES, G.L. THOMPSON, "An Algorithm for Finding a Minimum Equivalent Graph of a Diagraph", J. ACM, vol. 16, n.3, (1969).Google Scholar