Schema hypergraphs:A formalism to investigate logical data base design
In this paper we apply the formalism of hypergraphs and hypergraph context free grammars to characterize and investigate various aspects of logical data base design.
We show that the hypergraph formalism is a uniform notation to represent data and properties of data. Several results concerning context free generation of conceptual schemata are proved.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARMSTRONG, W.W.:"Dependency structures of Database Relationships," proc. IFIP74, North Holland 1974.Google Scholar
- BATINI C. and D'ATRI A.:"Rewriting Systems as a tool for Relational Data Base Design" — Proc. Int.Work. on Graph Grammars and their applications to Biology and Computer Science — Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag 1979.Google Scholar
- BATINI C. and D'ATRI A.:"On the hypergraph model of functional dependencies." R79-01, Istituto di Automatica — Roma — ItalyGoogle Scholar
- BATINI C. and D'ATRI A.:"Schema Hypergraphs: A formalisms to investigate Logical Data Base Design — Extended version." Tecnical Report — Istituto di Automatica — Roma (1980).Google Scholar
- BEERI C., BERNSTEIN P.A., GOODMAN N.:"A Sophisticate Introduction to Data Base Normalization Theory." Proc. Conf. on Very Large Data Dases— Berlin 1978.Google Scholar
- DATE C.J.: An Introduction to Data Base Systems-Addison Wesley 2nd edition 1978.Google Scholar
- 1978 New Orleans data base design Workshop Report. IBM Report RJ2554 (33154)7/13/79.Google Scholar