Formalization of data base models
We present abstract, Denotational Semantics models of File Systems and Data Base Languages. The techniques of constructive — as opposed to algebraic — semantics definitions of software, as well as the notation of the specification language, is introduced through a variety of examples of simple file systems. Then these principles of software abstractions are applied to the semantics analysis of both Relational- & Network Data Base Models (i.e. Languages). From the former we illustrate both the relational algebra- and the predicate caluculus- based query languages. Within the Network Model we formalize the notion of Bachman-, i.e. Data Structure-, Diagrams, and the data manipulation language commands applicable to such CODASYL/DBTG-like data models.
The triple aims of the paper are: to teach formalization methods; to advocate the use of abstract models in the Data Base (research) area; and to present the result of some such semantics analysis efforts — hoping thereby to shed light on properties of e.g. CODASYL/DBTG proposals.
KeywordsFile System Query Language Denotational Semantic Range Relation Abstract Data Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
5. References & Bibliography
- [Bachman 70]C.Bachman: "Data Structure Diagrams", ‘Data Base', journal of ACM SIGBDP, vol.1, no.2, Summer 1969.Google Scholar
- [Biller 74]H. Biller & E.J. Neuhold: "Formal View on Schema-Subschema Correspondance", ‘IFIP Congress Proceedings', North-Holland, Amsterdam 1974.Google Scholar
- [Biller 75]— & Glatthaar: "On the Semantics of Data Bases: The Semantics of Data Definition Languages", Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 34, 1975.Google Scholar
- [Biller 76]—: "On the Semantics of Data Bases: The Semantics of Data Manipulation Languages", ‘Modelling in Data Base Management Systems’ (ed. G.M. Nijssen), IFIP TC-2 Working Conf., North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1976.Google Scholar
- [Bjørner 79]D.Bjørner: "The Vienna Development Method: Software Abstraction and Program Synthesis", Int'l Conf. on Math. Studies of Information Processing, Res.Inst.Math.Sci., Kyoto, Japan, 1978 — Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.75, 1979.Google Scholar
- [CODASYL]"Data Base Task Group (DBTG), CODASYL, April 1971 Report", ACM, 1971.Google Scholar
- [Hansal 76]A.Hansal: "A Formal Definition of a Relational Data Base System", IBM Sci.Ctr., Peterlee, Techn.Rept. UKSC 00 80, 1976.Google Scholar
- [Nilsson 76]J.F.Nilsson: "Relational Data Base Systems — Formalization and Realization", Ph.D.Thesis, Dept.of Comp.Sci.,Techn. Univ.of Denmark, ID-641, Sept.1976.Google Scholar
- [Jones 80]C.B. Jones: "Software Development: A Rigorous Approach", Prentice-Hall International, Reading, UK, 1980.Google Scholar