A transaction model
This paper is an attempt to tersely restate several theoretical results about transaction recovery and concurrency control. A formal model of entities, actions, transactions, entity failures, concurrency and distributed system is required to present these results. Included are theorems on transaction undo and redo, degrees of consistency, predicate locks, granularity of locks, deadlock, and two-phase commit.
KeywordsStable Storage Database State Real Entity Consistency Constraint Serial History
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davies, C.T., "Recovery Semantics for a DB/DC System," Proceedings ACM National Conference, 1973, pp. 136–141.Google Scholar
- Eswaran, K.E., J.N. Gray, R.A. Lorie, I.L. Traiger, "On the Notions of Consistency and Predicate Locks in a Relational Database System," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 19, No. 11, Nov. 1976, pp. 624–634.Google Scholar
- Gorski J., "A Formal Model for Transaction Back-up in a Database Environment", Institute of Informatics, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland, Draft, March 1979, pp. 13.Google Scholar
- Gray, J.N., R.A. Lorie, G.F. Putzolu, I.L. Traiger, "Granularity of Locks and Degrees of Consistency in a Shared Data Base", Modeling in Data Base Management Systems. G.M. Nijssen editor, North Holland, 1976, pp. 365–394. Also IBM Research Report: RJ 1606.Google Scholar
- Gray, J.N., "Notes on Data Base Operating Systems", Operating Systems — An Advanced Course, R. Bayer, R.M. Graham, G. Seegmuller editors, Springer Verlag, 1978, pp. 393–481. Also IBM Research Report: RJ 2188, Feb. 1978.Google Scholar
- Gray J.N., P. McJones, M. W. Blasgen, R. A. Lorie, T. G. Price, G. F. Putzolu, I. L. Traiger, "The Recovery Manager of a Data Management System", IBM Research Report RJ 2623, August 1979. pp. 23.Google Scholar
- Korth H., Homan P. This is a brief discussion of work done by Hank Korth (of Stanford) and myself in 1978 and of discussions with Pete Homan (of IBM Hursley).Google Scholar
- Lampson B.W., H. E. Sturgis. "Crash Recovery in a Distributed Data Storage System", Xerox Research Report: ?, To appear in Communications of the ACM. April 1979, pp. 23.Google Scholar
- Lindsay B. G., P. G. Selinger, C. A. Galtieri, J. N. Gray, R. A. Lorie, T. G. Price, G. F. Putzolu, I. L. Traiger, B. W. Wade, "Notes on Distributed Databases", IBM Research Report: RJ 2571, July 1979. pp. 57.Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou C. H., "The Serializability of Concurrent Database Updates", Journal of the ACM, Vol. 26, No. 4, October 1979, pp. 631–653.Google Scholar
- Traiger I. L., Galtieri C. A., Gray J. N., Lindsay B. G., "Transactions and Consistency in Distributed Database Systems", To appear in ACM Transactions on Database Systems. also IBM Research Report: RJ 2555, June 1979, pp. 17.Google Scholar
- Rosenkrantz D. J., R. E. Sterns, R. E. Lewis, "System Level Concurrency Control for Distributed Database Systems", ACM Transactions on Database Systems, Vol. 3, No. 2, June 1978, pp. 178–198.Google Scholar