Adequacy of path programs
Syntax and semantics of a subset of the path notation are introduced. Then a property of path programs called adequacy is defined; roughly, programs are adequate if there is no partial deadlock. Finally, two results are presented concerning adequacy. The first result solves the adequacy problem for a certain subclass of programs, and the second result characterises the problem in terms of PT-nets for another subclass. An overview of the results on adequacy which have been obtained so far is also given. Even so, this is intended to serve as an introductory text.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CAH74]Campbell, R.H. and Habermann, A.N.: The Specification of Process Synchronisation by Path Expressions. In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science 16, Springer Verlag, Berlin 1974.Google Scholar
- [COM72]Commoner, F.: Deadlocks in Petri Nets. CA-7206/2311, Applied Data Research, Wakefield Massachusetts, June 1972.Google Scholar
- [GES80]Genrich, H.J. and Stankiewicz-Wiechno, E.: A Dictionary of Some Basic Notions of Net Theory. In this volume.Google Scholar
- [GLT80]Genrich, H.J., Lautenbach, K. and Thjagarajan, P.S.: An Overview of Net Theory. In this volume.Google Scholar
- [HAC72]Hack, M.H.T.: Analysis of Production Schemata by Petri Nets. TR-94, Project MAC, MIT, Boston, February 1972 (corrected June 1974).Google Scholar
- [JAV80]Jantzen, M. and Valk, R.: Formal Properties of Place-Transition Nets. In this volume.Google Scholar
- [LAU75]Lautenbach, K.: Liveness in Petri Nets. GMD-ISF internal report, Bonn 1975.Google Scholar
- [LBS78]Lauer, P.E., Best, E. and Shields, M.W.: On the Problem of Achieving Adequacy of Concurrent Programs. In: Formal Description of Programming Concepts (ed. E. Neuhold), North Holland 1978.Google Scholar
- [LSB78]Lauer, P.E., Shields, M.W. and Best, E.: On the Design and Certification of Asynchronous Systems of Processes. Final Report, part II: Formal Theory of the Basic COSY Notation, ASM/45, Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1978 (also to appear as Technical Report).Google Scholar
- [LSB79]Lauer, P.E., Shields, M.W. and Best, E.: Design and Analysis of Highly Parallel and Distributed Systems. To appear in: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Verlag, Berlin 1979.Google Scholar
- [MER80]Memmi, G. and Roucairol, G.: Linear Algebra in Net Theory. In this volume.Google Scholar
- [ROU80]Roucairol, G. and Valk, R.: Reductions of Nets and Parallel Programs. In this volume.Google Scholar
- [SHI79]Shields, M.W.: Adequate Path Expressions. TR/142, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1979; also in: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Semantics of Concurrent Computation, in: Lecture Notes in Computer Science 70, Springer Verlag, Berlin 1970.Google Scholar