A relational model for non-deterministic programs and predicate transformers
A relational model for non-deterministic programs is presented. Several predicate transformers are introduced and it is shown that one of them satisfies all the healthiness criteria indicated by Dijkstra for a useful total correctness predicate transformer.
An axiomatic relational definition of the language of guarded commands is proposed. From it the predicate transformers associated to each command in the language are derived. The fact that Dijkstra's axioms are rediscovered proves their consistency in the model.
KeywordsBinary Relation Relational Model Double Negation Total Correctness Weak Precondition
- [Dij76]E.W. Dijkstra, "A Discipline of Programming" Prentice Hall, 1976.Google Scholar
- [Gue79]P. Guerreiro, "Un modèle relationnel pour les programmes non-déterministes". Rapport de D.E.A., Univ. Grenoble I, 1979.Google Scholar
- [Gue80]P. Guerreiro, "Relational semantics of strongly communicating communicating sequential processes". IMAG Report, Grenoble (to appear).Google Scholar
- [Hoa78a]C.A.R. Hoare, "Some properties of predicate transformers". JACM, 25, 3, July 1978, pp. 461/480.Google Scholar
- [Hoa78b]C.A.R. Hoare, "Communicating sequential processes". CACM 21, 8, August 1978, pp. 666/677.Google Scholar
- [Roe76]W.P. de Roever, "Dijkstra's predicate transformer, non-determinism, recursion and termination". Math. Found. Comp. Sci, LNCS 45, Springer, 1976, pp. 472/481.Google Scholar
- [Sif79]J. Sifakis, "Le Contrôle des Systèmes Asynchrones: Concepts, Propriétés, Analyse Statique". Thèse d'Etat, Univ. Grenoble I, 1979.Google Scholar
- [Wan77]M. Wand, "A characterization of weakest preconditions". JCSS 15, 1977, pp. 209/212.Google Scholar