Land use: Problems and experiences
Starting from the observation of the current lack of knowledge of the external land use structure, a simple model is proposed as a tool for an ordered collection of applications and relevant data in "application layers", such that, in a further step, such layers could be implemented as views on a shared data base.
The characteristics of the data and of the user interfaces relevant to an information system for land use, are discussed, with the aim of finding out whether there is any peculiarity which make them different from those commonly used in other information systems.
The Land administrative structure, spans over many sites which are logically and physically separated (region, district, province, etc.).
This observation together with that relevant the huge number of data, suggests that on information system for land use should be conceived as potentially dinstributable.
Some experiences which have been got by the application of the currently available software tools to the land use problems, are briefly described in the appendix.
KeywordsData Base Application Layer Detail Level User View Planning Support System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aldred B.K. and Smedley B.S. (1974). UMS Technical Overview. IBM U.K. Technical Report UKSC0050.Google Scholar
- Aldred B.K. and Smedley B.S. (1974). UML User's Guide. IBM U.K. Technical Report, UK0052.Google Scholar
- Anderberg M.R. (1973). Cluster Analysis for Applications. Acad. Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Bennett J.L. (1977). User-oriented Graphic Systems for Decision Support in Unstructured Tasks. IBM Research Report, RJ 1940.Google Scholar
- Bergamaschi S., Bonfatti F., Camporesi R., and Olivelli S. (1978). Il linguaggio di qualificazione del Sistema Informativo OSIRIS, C.N.R. Centro di Studio per l'Interazione Operatore-Calcolatore, rapporto 39.Google Scholar
- Bergamaschi S., Bonfatti F., Camporesi R. and Olivelli S. (1978). Considerazioni sul Progetto di Sistemi Informativi Relazionali di Grandi Dimensioni. C.N.R. Centro di Studio per l'interazione operatore-calcolatore, Rapporto 38.Google Scholar
- Berman R.R. and Stonebraker M. (1977). GEO QUEL A System for the Manipulation and Display of Geographic data. ACM Computer Graphics 11,2,186–190.Google Scholar
- Bonfatti F. and Tiberio R. (1976). A Data Structure for Land Description and Investigation, Proc. of the Fifth Biennial International Codata Conf., Pergamon Press, 263–257Google Scholar
- Bonfatti F. and Tiberio P. (1977). A Computer-Assisted Procedure for Analysis and Forecast of Human Resources: Application to Agricolture District Planning. Proc. International Conf. on Cybernetics and Society 33–37.Google Scholar
- Casazza I. and Marini G. (1977). MIDA. A Relational System for Data Management, IBM Italy Technical Report, G513-3565.Google Scholar
- Chamberlin D.D., Astrahan M.M., Eswaren K.P., Griffiths P.P., Lorie R.A., Mehl J.W., Reisner P., and Wade B.W. (1976). SEQUEL 2: A Unified Approach to Data Definition, Manipulation and Control. IBM Research Report, RJ1798.Google Scholar
- Chen P.P. (1977). The Entity Relationship Model — Toward a Unified View of Data. ACM Trans. on Database Systems, 1, 1, 9–36.Google Scholar
- CHEN P.P. (1977). The Entity Relationship Model — A Basis for Enterprise View of Data. N.C.C. '77 AFIPS PRESS, 77–84.Google Scholar
- Durham B. and Odell P. (1974). Cluster Analysis: A Survey Springer Verlag Press, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Kriger M.P. (1976). SUGAR: A High-Level Programming Language for Geographical Analysis and Mapping. ACM Sigplan Not. 11, 6, 40–48.Google Scholar
- Mantey P.E., Bennett J.L. and Carlson E.D. (1973). Information for Problem Solving: The Development of an Interactive Geographic Information System, IEEE International Conference on Communications, ii, 44–47.Google Scholar
- Mantey P.E. and Carlson E.D. (1975). Integrated Data Bases for municipal decision-making. N.C.C. '75 AFIPS PRESS 487–493.Google Scholar
- Phillips R.L. (1977). A Query Language for a Network Data Base with Graphical Entities. ACM Computer Graphics 11, 2 179–185.Google Scholar
- Williams R. and Giddings G.M. (1976). A Picture Building System. IEEE Trans. on Soft. Engineering, SE-2, 1,62–66.Google Scholar
- Weller D.L. and Williams R. (1976). Graphic and Data Base support for Programming, IBM Research Report, RJ1744.Google Scholar