Designing an image based information system
There is a pressing need for systems which can manage spatially-referenced data and perform certain types of spatially-oriented processing. As an example, census data are spatially referenced, and there is a standard repertoire of computational steps performed by users of those data such as aggregation of variables over regions defined by polygons. The IBIS (Image-Based Information System) system extends the capability of present systems by adding a new data-type, the image raster, in such a way that it can be used with tabular data bases. Many of the existing computational procedures are simplified or made more accurate when converted to a digital image processing mode of operation and several new computational procedures are made possible. In addition, new methods of data capture and new sources of data are added (e.g., photo-scanning and satellite imagery).
The system has now been used on more than a dozen large scale applications. This report describes an application to air pollution modelling in Portland, Oregon.
KeywordsCensus Tract Landsat Image Image Raster Geographic Coordinate System Interface File
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. J. Deuker, "A Framework for Encoding Spatial Data," Geographical Analysis, Vol. 4 (1972), pp. 98–105.Google Scholar
- 2.K. J. Deuker, "Urban Geocoding," Annals, Association of American Geographers, Vol. 64 (1974), pp. 318–325.Google Scholar
- 3.P. A. Werner, "National Geocoding," Annals, Association of American Geographers, Vol. 64 (1974), pp. 310–317.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Cooke, "Storage and Retrieval of Geographic Data," URISA, SIG/GBF Technical Session, Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1973.Google Scholar
- 5.U.S. Bureau of the Census, Census Use Study: The DIME Geocoding System, Report No. 4, Washington, D.C. 1970.Google Scholar
- 6.F. C. Billingsley, "Review of Digital Image Processing," Proceedings EUROCOMP '75, London, England, September 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Zobrist, N. A. Bryant, and A. J. Landini, "Use of Landsat Imagery for Urban Analysis," Proceedings URISA National Conference, Kansas City, Missouri August 1977.Google Scholar