The initial design of a vector based algebra system
This report explains the aims and presents the design of a new algebra system that is being constructed in Cambridge. It discusses in particular three areas that seem to lead to complicated and often conflicting requirements — the selection of basic data-structures, the incorporation and support of the most efficient algorithms and the design of an interface between the system and its users. We present the ways in which our ideas influence reliability, portability, efficiency, generality and flexibility. Our view of the relative importance of these attributes is given.
KeywordsUnivariate Polynomial Symbol Table System Builder Sparse Polynomial High Level Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fitch, J.P. and Norman, A.C., "A Note on Compacting Garbage Collecting" Comp J 21 1 Feb 1978 pp 31–34.Google Scholar
- Goto, E. and Kanada, Y., "Hashing Lemmas on Time Complexity with Applications to Formula Manipulation" Proc SYMSAC 76, ACM 1976 pp 154–8.Google Scholar
- Gustavson, F.G. and Yun, D.Y.Y., "Arithmetic Complexity of Unordered Sparse Polynomials" Proc SYMSAC 76, ACM 1976 pp 149–53.Google Scholar
- Horowitz, E., "A Sorting Algorithm for Polynomial Manipulation" JACM 22 4 Oct 1975 pp 450–62.Google Scholar
- Jenks, R.D. "MODLISP" These Proceedings.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S.C., "Sparse Polynomial Arithmetic" Proc EUROSAM 74, SIGSAM bulletin 8 3 Aug 1974 pp 63–71.Google Scholar
- Turner, D.A., SASL Language Manual report CS/75/1, University of St Andrews 1976.Google Scholar
- Wang, P., "An Improved Multivariate Polynomial Factoring Algorithm" Math Comp 32 144 Oct 1978 pp 1215–31.Google Scholar
- Yun, D.Y.Y., "The Hensel Lemma in Algebraic Manipulation" MAC-TR-138, MIT 1973.Google Scholar