The computerisation of algebraic geometry
This paper is concerned with the problems of performing computer algebra when the variables involved are related by some algebraic dependencies. It is shown that heuristic or ad hoc treatment of such cases leads rapidly to problems, and the proper mathematical foundations for the treatment of algebraic functions are presented. The formalism leads directly to the requirement for algorithms to find the genus of an algebraic curve, and to discover what function, if any, is associated with a given divisor. These algorithms and the relevant computational techniques are briefly described. In a concluding section the areas where these techniques are required in an integration scheme for algebraic functions are explained.
KeywordsAlgebraic Geometry Local Parameter Algebraic Curve Algebraic Curf Algebraic Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker,A. & Coates,J., Integer Points on Curves of genus 1. Proc. Cam. Phil. Soc. 67(1970) pp. 595 ff.Google Scholar
- Birch, B.J. & Swinnerton-Dyer, H.P.F., Notes on Elliptic Curves I, J. reine & angew. Math. 212(1963) pp. 7–23.Google Scholar
- Chevalley,C., Introduction to the Theory of Algebraic Functions of one Variable, A.M.S. Surveys VI, 1951.Google Scholar
- Coates, J., Construction of Rational Functions on a Curve. Proc. Cam. Phil. Soc. 68(1970) pp. 105–123.Google Scholar
- Davenport,J.H., The Integration of Algebraic Functions, to appear.Google Scholar
- Davenport,J.H., Algorithms for the Integration of Algebraic Functions, These Proceedings.Google Scholar
- Davenport,J.H. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cambridge, (in preparation).Google Scholar
- Fulton,W., Algebraic Curves, An Introduction to Algebraic Geometry. W.A. Benjamin Inc, 1969.Google Scholar
- Risch, R.H., The Solution of the Problem of Integration in Finite Terms. Bulletin AMS 76 (1970) pp. 605–608.Google Scholar
- Seidenberg,A., Elements of the theory of Algebraic Curves. Addison-Wesley, 1968Google Scholar
- Swinnerton-Dyer,H.P.F., Numerical Tables on Elliptic Curves. In ‘Modular Functions of one Variable IV’ (Proceedings Antwerp 1972), Springer lecture Notes in Mathematics 476(1975)Google Scholar
- Trager,B.M., Algebraic Factoring and Rational Function Integration. Proc. SYMSAC 76, pp. 219–226.Google Scholar