A unique termination theorem for a theory with generalised commutative axioms
These can be thought of as many sorted commutative axioms as they might appear in axiomatic specifications of abstract data types.
A method is presented for deciding the unique termination property of a set of "permutative rewrite rules" having the finite termination property. It relies on "confluence" results of Gerard Huet .
KeywordsFunction Symbol Critical Pair Variable Symbol Abstract Data Type Term Rewrite System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.E.Knuth & P.B.Bendix: Simple Word Problems in Universal Algebras in Computational Problems in Abstract Algebra Ed. J.Leech, Pergamon Press 1970, pp.263–297Google Scholar
- D.S.Lankford & A.M.Ballantyne: Decision Procedures for Simple Equational Theories with a Commutative Axiom: Complete Sets of Commutative Reductions Automatic Theorem Proving Project, Depts. Math. and Comp. Science, University of Texas at Austin; Report #ATP-35Google Scholar
- D.S.Lankford & A.M.Ballantyne: Decision Procedures for Simple Equational Theories with Commutative-Associative Axioms: Complete Sets of Commutative-Associative Reductions As , Report #ATP-39Google Scholar
- G.Huet: Confluent Reductions: Abstract Properties and Applications to Term Rewriting Systems IRIA-LABORIA, Domaine de Voluceau, F-78150 Rocquencourt France. Preliminary version in 18th IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Oct 1977Google Scholar
- J.A. Robinson: A Machine-Oriented Logic Based on the Resolution Principle. JACM Vol.12, No.1; January 1965; pp.23–41Google Scholar