Magnetic field induced residual resistivity and anisotropic superconductivity in the linear chain compound, Hg3-σAsF6
The anisotropic metallic state and superconductivity of this quasi-onedimensional linear chain mercury compound are discussed, and the results of studies of the transport, magnetic and optical properties are reviewed.New results on the resistivity and magneto resistivity have been obtained using contactless ac mutual inductance techniques.These data imply a magnetic field induced residual resistivity which appears to go to zero as the field is reduced to zero.Meissner effect measurements of this anisotropic superconductor have been extended to 0. 28 K; below 0. 4 K the flux exclusion becomes complete with X, approaching -( 1/4π ). Magnetization and transport data in the anisotropic superconducting regime below 4. 1 K are discussed in detail with emphasis on the question of the possible role of free mercury.
KeywordsResidual Resistivity Magnetic Field Dependence Meissner Effect Anisotropic Superconductivity Interchain Coupling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. D. Cutforth, Ph.D. Thesis, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario (1975); B. D. Cutforth, W. R. Datars, R. J. Gillespie and A. van Schyndel, Advances in Chemistry Series 150 (1976)Google Scholar
- 2.I. D. Brown, B. D. Cutforth, C. G. Davies, R. J. Gillespie, P. R. Ireland, and J. E. Vekris, Can. J. Chem. 52, 791 (1974)Google Scholar
- 4.B. D. Gillespie, W. R. Datars, A. van Schyndel, and R. J. Gillespie, Solid State Commun. 21, 377 (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.J. P. Pouget, G. Shirane, J. M. Hastings, A. J. Heeger, N. D. Miro and A. G. MacDiarmid, Phys. Rev. (in press)Google Scholar
- 13.I. V. Heilmann, J. M. Hastings, G. Shirane, A. J. Heeger, and A. G. MacDiarmid, Phys. Rev. Lett. (Submitted)Google Scholar
- 14.D. P. Chakraborty, R. Spal, C. K. Chiang, A. M. Denenstein, A. J. Heeger and A. G. MacDiarmid, Solid State Commun. (in press)Google Scholar
- 20.G. A. Kharadze, G. E. Gurgenishvilli, and A. A. Nerseyan, (preprint)Google Scholar
- 24.Introduction to Superconductivity, Michael Tinkham (McGraw-Hill, New York 1975); Chapter 8Google Scholar
- 25.R. Spal, A. Denenstein, C. K. Chiang, A. J. Heeger, and A. G. MacDiarmid, Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc. 23, 305 (1978); and to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 27.A. R. McGhie, private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 28.W. R. Salaneck, R. Spal, A. J. Heeger and A. G. MacDiarmid, (to be published)Google Scholar
- 29.D. P. Seraphim, F. M. D'Heurle and W. R. Heller, “Free Energy of Composite Wires in the Superconducting State”, Rev. Modern Phys., Jan. 1964, p. 323–327Google Scholar